Fire Department Headquarters,
1900. Located at 112 W. Morgan Street, this
building first housed the Capital Hose and Hook and
Ladder companies. Built in 1896, it also housed the
fire department alarm system. (RFD.)
Chief C.D. Farmer and
Firefighters, 1916. By the time of this group
photograph at Station 1, Raleigh's fully motorized
fire department operated three hose companies and one
truck company. In February of that year, an American
LaFrance Type 17 aerial ladder, registration number
1047, was delivered. The fire chief was Charles D.
Farmer, appointed in 1914 after Chief Brockwell
accepted the newly created position of state fire
Group Photograph, 1956. Pictured
in front of "Central Station." from left to
right, are John W. "Johnny" Holmes, James R.
"Red" House, Jack "Snooks" Allen,
Charles A. Lloyd, Clarence R. Puryear, Webster B.
Lloyd, Willis Kirk, Boaz A. "Bozo" Edwards,
Edsell S. Thornton, Calvin R. Boseman, Lewis V.
Choplin, Bobby G. Bunn, William J. Pierce, Ray A.
Boseman, Melvin D. Williams, Harold D. Jones, Zeb V.
Burchette, and James P. "Jimmy" Blake.(RFD.)
Mack Pumper. Raleigh's first
Mack fire engine was this Type 85, 750-GPM pumper,
chassis number 85LS1441, delivered in 1950. From left
to right in this undated photograph are M.T.
"Ace" Parker (wearing cap), two factory men,
Pat Murphy, and Chief Alvin B. Lloyd. (RFD.)
Truck One En Route. Shown
responding to a fire call in this undated photograph,
Raleigh's "downtown ladder" was an American
LaFrance 700 Series, 100-foot aerial ladder. Delivered
in 1958, the "front end" was replaced with a
Mack Model MC tractor in 1980. The apparatus was
removed from service in 1999, sold at auction, and
eventually purchased by the Wendell Fire Department.
Fire Companies, August 1987. Pictured
on the apron of Station 5 at 303 Oberlin Road are the
personnel and equipment of, from left to right, Engine
6, Rescue 6, Engine 5, and Truck 5. District Chief
Hubert Y. Altman stands in front of Car 53. (Courtesy
of Hubert Altman.)