RALEIGH AND WAKE COUNTY FIREFIGHTING VOLUME II BY MICHAEL J. LEGEROS

ISBN 0738516201
Retail price $19.99 - 128 pages - Softcover
Approximately 235 black-and-white photographs
Published 2004

The Images of America Series by Arcadia Publishing
   More Firefighting Titles - More Local Titles

 
Annotations
  |  Author  |  Clippings  |  Corrections  |  Events  |  Flyer (PDF)  |  Index (PDF)  |  Sources  |  Volume 1


Chapter 3 - Facilities

Knightdale Fire Station, February, 1956. Fire Chief Randolph Griffin pulls the 1942 pumper out of the nearly-finished fire station. For three years, fire equipment had been stored in the garage of Jim Keith. The nearly finished concrete-block building on Hester Street also contained a large room to be rented to the town as office space. (N&O photograph by Jim Keith.)

Stony Hill Fire Station. In 1963, firefighters and community members constructed this permanent fire station at 7025 Stony Hill Road. Built on land loaned by Bill Ray, the three-bay building was expanded in 1981 to include a fourth bay and a meeting room. (Mike Legeros photograph.)

Station 2, c. 1976. A new Cary Fire Station 2 was completed that year at 875 NE Maynard Road. The $185,000 building is shown with Engine 1 and Engine 2 posed on the apron. Four years later, it housed a sign shop for creating and maintaining the town's street signs complete with a lamination machine built by firefighters. (CFD.)

Shelter, August, 1982. Groundbreaking for the Hopkins Fire Department's picnic shelter was held on February 23, 1982. The 120-foot long structure was built by firefighters and community members with both monetary and material donations, including trees for lumber and "50 pounds of nails" from Mr. Frank Smith. (HFD.)

...and many more!