Historic and Former Camden Firehouses

Site last edited January 6, 2014


Introduction

This site contains research on former and historic Camden firehouses that are still standing, as compiled by Mike Legeros in August 2013.

See more photographs
 
Company Address Built Opened Closed Notes  
Old Stockton Hose Co. No. 2 2407 Federal Street 1897   1900 The volunteer Stockton Hose Co. No. 2 fire company served Stockton, NJ, which was annexed by Camden in 1899. A number of Stockton fire companies continued to protect Camden, until career fire stations could be constructed and companies placed in service. The company was removed from service on March 1, 1900. They were replaced by Camden Hose 1 and Ladder 3, operating from 1 N. 27th Street.
Old William Penn Hook and Ladder and Steam Fire Engine Co. No. 1 300 N. 27th Street   1896 1900 The volunteer William Penn Hook and Ladder and Steam Fire Engine Co. No. 1 fire company served Stockton, NJ, which was annexed by Camden in 1899. A number of Stockton fire companies continued to protect Camden, until career fire stations could be constructed and companies placed in service. The volunteer fire company purchased and converted this building into a firehouse in 1896. The company was removed from service on March 1, 1900. They were replaced by Camden Hose 1 and Ladder 3, operating from 1 N. 27th Street.
Old Engine 1 409 Pine Street 1892 1892 1978 This firehouse was constructed on the site of the old Independent Fire Company No. 3. The building was occupied by Engine 1 until November 2, 1978, when Engine 1 relocated to Fire Department Headquarters at 2 N. 3rd Street.
Old Engine 3 1813 Broadway 1890 1890 1986 Engine 3 was placed in service on June 1, 1890. This building was vacated in 1986, when Engine 3 moved to the former quarters of Ladder 2 at 617-619 Kaighns Avenue. Specific date of closure TBD, but in the latter half of 1986.
Old Engine 4 320 Vine Street 1890 1890 1933 Engine 4 was placed in placed in service June 1, 1890. The company was disbanded during the Great Depression on January 1, 1933.
Old Engine 6 337 N. Front Street 1908 1909 1978 Engine 6 was placed in service in January 16, 1909. The building was vacated on November 2, 1978, when Engine 6 relocated to Fire Department Headquarters at 2 N. 3rd Street.
Old Engine 8 / Old Ladder 2 617-619 Kaighns Avenue 1899 1900 1993 Chemical Engine Company 2 (now Engine 8) and Ladder 2 were placed in service at this location on March 1, 1900. Ladder 2 was relocated to the former quarters of Ladder 4 at 2500 Morgan Boulevard in 1986. Engine 8 was relocated to 1307 Broadway (Liberty Fire Station) on May 27, 1993. This building also housed Rescue 1 in 1993, before it was also relocated to the 1307 Broadway.
Engine 9 / Ladder 3
Old Engine 5
1 N. 27th Street 1899 1900 Active Hose Company 1 (now Engine 9) and Ladder 3 occupied this building on March 1, 1900. Both companies still occupy the building, along with Battalion 3. On November 3, 1925, Engine 5 relocated to this building, to an apparatus bay added on the Federal Street side of the building. The former horse stalls were removed to accommodate the addition. Engine 5 was relocated as access to their firehouse on Federal Street was blocked by construction of a new bridge over the Cooper River. Engine 5 was disbanded during the Great Depression on January 1, 1933. Their old engine house is also no longer standing.
Squad 7 1115 Kaighns Avenue 1910 1910 Active Engine 7 was placed in service on July 1, 1910. The engine company was renamed Squad 7 in 2003. Specific date TBD, was between February and September 2003.
Engine 10
Old Ladder 4
2500  Morgan Boulevard 1919 1920 Active Engine 10 and Ladder 4 were placed in service on September 16, 1920. Ladder 4 was disbanded during the Great Depression on July 5, 1936. Engine 3 was relocated to this station in 1994, and was housed with Engine 10 until Engine 3 was disbanded.
Engine 11 901 N. 27th Street 1913 1913 Active Engine 11 was originally named Hose and Chemical Company 2, which relocated from the 1 N. 27th Street station to this location. The company was renamed Engine 11 on January 1, 1924.

Sources

Photo Credits

Home

Search Mike Legeros

Copyright 2017 by Michael J. Legeros