08/24/11 233 W - + 4 - 0 Evening News, August 24, 2011
Late and belated reports from here, there, and everywhere...
- Apex Officer Alerts Residents to Apartment Fire - WRAL reports the unidentified officer was on routine partrol when he spotted smoke coming from apartments on James Street. He reported the fire, and awakened and evacuted residents. One unit sustained fire damaged, and a second had smoke damage.
- Fire Prompts Rental Property Debate - Eastern Wake News story about building codes in Wendell.
- Frozen Chickens Burn, Close Interstate - That's my headline for the WRAL story of this morning's incident on I-40 near Highway 751. Two lanes were closed for about five hours. Hot brakes led to the frying friers.
- Pizza Hut Destroyed Overnight - Happened in Fayetteville. Says the Observer: "Employees [...] thought they smelled smoke in the building before closing time Tuesday night, but they decided it wasn't and left for the night, authorities said.
Two hours later, flames ripped through the restaurant, destroying the building [...]." Lesson learned!
- Teen Rescued From Linville Falls - A reader passed along a pair of news stories about last week's helicopter rescue of a teenager from Linville Falls. The N.C. Army National Guard helicopter was from here, and was conducting training with five members of the N.C. Helicopter Aquatic Rescue Team (HART). (Were the rescuers also from here?) Read the Asheville Citizen-Times story, and see some WSPA footage.