Wake County Forestry Service

History


Warning! This is an inactive web page! Last updated 2004!

General

Early forms of forest fire protection in Wake County:

  • Civilian Conservation Corps, 1933-1942 (national years of operation)
  • Holly Springs farmers form volunteer forest firefighting group, 1943

Early fire towers in Wake County:

  • Bay Leaf
    1936 - Lease recorded
    West side of Six Forks Road, approx. 0.5 miles North of  “Six Forks”, now Strickland Road intersection, approx. 8 miles north of Raleigh, high ground between Baileywick Rd and Six Forks Rd
    1937 - 99’-9” Aermotor steel tower erected

    1967 - New tower site purchased
    SR 1828 now Howard Road, approx 650 feet West of NC Hwy 50, Creedmor Road, approx. 3 miles north of Hwy 70
    1968 - 99’-9” Aermotor steel tower re-erected on new site
    ncfs
     
  • Knightdale
    1938 - Tower site acquired from Meredith College trustees.
    Southside Place, east side of Hester Street, approx 1800 feet south of railroad property, and extending to Sallinger Street.
    1938 - 120’ International-Stacey steel tower erected
    1971 - House and site sold
    1972 - Tower removed, for storage in Clayton and subsequent relocation to South Mills, Pasquotank County
    ncfs
     
  • Apex
    1940 - Original Tower Site, 100 ft wood tower erected, Greason Mfg Co. Oak Grove Primitive Baptist Church Crossroads, approx 770 feet W of crossroads, (Approx 4 miles east from Apex)
    1951 - Lease filed for new tower site
    Swift Creek Church-Apex Road approx 1200 feet SE of intersection with Apex-McCullers Road, approx. 2.5 miles SE of Apex
    1951 - 99’-9” Aermotor steel tower erected
    1981 - Last year tower was manned
    1986 - Site reverted to owner, tower sold
    ncfs

Present Forestry Service facilities in Wake County:

  • Fire Tower on Howard Road, no longer used
  • Ranger house and equipment shed at same location.  House used as private residence
  • Administrative offices at Wake County Office Complex on Carya Drive

Sources

  • ncfs North Carolina Forest Service
  • oh Oral history

Last updated: June 10, 2004


Home

Copyright 2013 by Michael J. Legeros