Holly Springs Fire Department(s)



  • Part I - Research From 2004
  • Part II - Additional Notes - 2016

Part I - Research From 2004


1943, framers organize volunteer forest firefighting service. Two-dozen farmers meet and elect community leaders. Appointment of a forest warden for the township is also urged. Buckhorn and White Oak townships are invited to join in setting up an organization to protect the three communities, which annually have been hit hard by fires. (February 1943) no14feb43


1971, Holly Springs Rural Fire Department formed. (July 21, 1971) sos

1971, first fire station is two-bay building at 1140 Avent Ferry Rd. oh

1971, first fire apparatus:

  • 1953 GMC tanker
  • 1955 International tanker.
Later apparatus includes:
  • 1974 Ford / Bean pumper
  • military surplus tanker
  • military surplus brush truck.

Late 1970s, pit building added behind fire station to hold pigs for fundraising barbecues.oh


1985-86, apparatus delivery: 1985-86 Chevy / FMC tanker, 1250 gallons.oh

1986, apparatus delivery: 1986 FMC pumper-tanker, a demonstrator model purchased with funds donated by Carolina Power and Light for first-in fire protection at the Harris Plant, after the 1974 pumper's pump failed at a house fire and the fire department was using an FMC pumper-tanker lent by Fuquay at the time CP&L inquired about fire protection. oh

1985, fire station expanded with additional apparatus space.oh

1989, Shearon Harris Nuclear Power Plant suffers fire. After nuclear reactor automatically shuts down at 11:06 p.m., workers spot two fires. One involves the transformer and is extinguished largely by sprinkler system. Second fire involves the generator in the turbine building. Plant's five-member fire brigade is assisted by Holly Springs and Fuquay-Varina fire departments. Plant officials confirm fire is out and associated hydrogen leak is contained at 2:43 p.m. (October 10, 1989) rt10oct89, no11oct89


1990, apparatus deliveries:

  • 1977 Ford / Howe tanker
  • brush truck built on 1990 Dodge chassis donated by Mr. Henry Collins. oh

1995, municipal fire department formed. Named Holly Springs Fire Service Division, part of Holly Springs Department of Public Safety. (April 1, 1995) oh

1995, temporary fire station at Omaha Meat Company at corner of Thomasmill Road and Irving Parkway. oh

1995, first fire apparatus includes:

  • 1970s Chevy / Bean pumper purchased from Wendell Fire Department. Later sold to Surf City Fire Department
  • 1990s International tanker, later sold to Northwest Harnett County Fire Department. oh

1995, first fire station completed at 127 N. Main Street. (September 1995) oh

1995, apparatus delivery: 1995 Pierce pumper originally ordered by rural department, but purchased by municipal department.oh

1997, apparatus constructed: municipal fire department builds aerial apparatus from 1980s Kodiak 55' bucket truck donated by Carolina Power and Light. Apparatus is utilized as master stream at one fire before behind sold to Swepsonville Fire Department. (July 1997)oh

1997, municipal and rural fire departments merge. Rural station is designated Station #1, municipal station is designated Station #2. (August-September 1997)oh

1998, fire department begins EMS service. (April 1, 1998) oh

1998, apparatus delivery: 17-foot Shore Line rescue boat donated by Wake County Sheriff's Department and modified by firefighters to include canopy, crane, portable pump with 2" discharge with 1 1/2" gate, and stokes basket bracket..oh

1999, pit building behind Station #1 remodeled into training facility. oh


2000-2001, ambulance involved in accident. Former Fuquay-Varina EMS Ford F-350 ambulance utilized as frontline unit until Holly Springs vehicle returns from shop. oh

2002, fire department assists Knightdale Public Safety's newly created Fire Division. Also donates hose, turnout gear, and other equipment. (summer 2002) oh

2002, apparatus deliveries: 1996 Ford L8000 chassis with Salisbury rescue body. Replaces 1972 Ford 800 chassis. (September 2002) oh

Fire Chiefs

See Wake County Fire Chiefs (pdf).


See Wake County apparatus register (pdf).


Raleigh Fire Museum photo albums.


  • oh Oral history
  • sos NC Department of the Secretary of State

Part II - Additional Notes - 2016

1986 - Purchase of FMC pumper/tanker by CP&L. Alternate oral history. Federal regulators evaluated the level of response specified by the power company's contract with the fire department, and found it insufficient. They power company promptly purchased (or donated the money for purchase of) the FMC pumper/tanker.

1990 - Town population is less than 1,000.

2000 - Town population is over 9,000.

2000 - Apparatus delivery: 2000 International/Pierce pumper/tanker.

2006 - New Station 1 at 700 Flint Point lane opens. The $3M structure has some 12,000 square-feet.

2007 - Station 2 on Avent Ferry Road renovated. One of the three apparatus bays is converted into living quarters.

2007 - Apparatus delivery: 1999 American Eagle mid-mount aerial platform. Purchased from Pattonville Fire District, Pattonville, MO.

2008 - Station 3 opens at 4112 Friendship Road. Engine 3 is placed in service. Station is operational on August 1. Occupies a leased house with a metal shelter for the apparatus. It protects new annexation areas. (August 1, 2008)

2010 - Town population is 24,804.

2011 - Holly Springs Station 2 at 1140 Avent Ferry Road closes, after tornado strikes town on April 16.

On April 25, Fire Chief Cecil Parker provides this update:

  • On Saturday, April 16, 2011, Holly Springs Fire Station 2, located at 1140 Avent Ferry Road, was damaged by a passing tornado.
  • The engine and staff have been temporarily relocated to Fire Station 1, located at 700 Flint Point Lane.
  • Second-out equipment has been relocated to Fairview Station 1. Arrangements have been made to have that equipment dispatched and brought by Fairview as needed.
  • The insurance company immediately responded and provided financial support to install temporary shoring for the walls, clean out the facility, and store any undamaged items.
  • The town code enforcement department immediately declared the structure unsafe.
  • On Tuesday, April 19, 2011, VFIS determined that the structure was damaged beyond repair and has authorized demolition.
  • The North Carolina Department of Insurance has been contacted and made aware of situation. They have indicated that plans for reconstruction will be moved through the system immediately so the work can begin.
  • The land next to Station 2 has been rented, for locating temporary housing..
  • Contractors have been contacted for construction of 30 by 40 building, to house one engine, one ambulance, and a brush truck.
  • Staff is reporting to Station 2 each morning and remaining on site until the evening.
  • On Tuesday, April 26, 2011, officials will meet with all interested parties to determine a course of action and timeline for replacing Fire Station 2.
  • Full-time operations at 1140 Avent Ferry Road with temporary housing are expected to resume within 30 days.

Next door, a temporary fire station as erected, consisting of a mobile home for living quarters and a two-bay metal garage. The temporary station was operational by May 22. The old fire station was demolished, and construction started on its replacement.

2011 - Apparatus delivery: 2011 Pierce Saber pumper-tanker, 1250/1000. New Engine 2. Delivered in March.

2012 - Leroy Smith hired as Fire Chief. Former Deputy Chief of BWI Airport fire department. Started on June 4, 2012. Succeeds former Fire Chief Cecil Parker.

2012 - New Holly Springs Station 2 opens in October 2011. An open house was conducted on November 10.

2014 - Apparatus delivery: 2014 Spartan ERV MetroStar rescue pumper, 1500/750/25. Contract price was $475,160. Delivered September 8, 2014. Replaces Engine 1. Designated Squad 1.

2014 - Fire dog added named Cinder, to assist firefighters with teaching fire and life safety skills.

2014 - Apparatus note: Ladder 2 sold on Tuesday before September 22, 2015. Sold to Biscoe FD in Montgomery County, NC.

2014 - Apparatus delivery: 2001 Spartan Gladiator/Baker Aerialscope mid-mount aerial platform, 2000/0/95-foot. Was Truck 2-1 at William Cameron Engine Company in Lewisburg, PA. Originally dark yellow with metal-finish rear body. Repainted black over red. Delivered August 2014. Placed in service July 2015 as Ladder 255.

Last updated: September 12, 2016


Copyright 2016 by Michael J. Legeros