"mysterious fires" destroy two schoolhouses, one
church, and two residences in New Light Township. Buildings
believed burned as reprisals for destruction of eight whiskey
plants in community. Fires occur in Hurricane
neighborhood, some twenty miles from Raleigh. Destroyed
are L. J. Sears school, Stoney Hill school, West Grove Baptist
Church, Leo Ray's residence, and Lonnie Harrison's
dwellings. Community is located in the eastern part of the
township and northwest of the Falls of Neuse. (March 12, 1921) rt12mar21
1958, organized as Stony Hill Fire
Department. Incorporated as Stony Hill Rural Fire
Department Inc. (June 12, 1958) sos
1958, charter members:
Vernon Keith, Sr.
Vernon Keith, Jr
O.L. Holliday fdr
1958, first fire
station is two-bay tin shed located beside 2713 Durham Road,
behind and beside present Falls Lake Grocery. Sign on building misprints Stony
Hill as Stoney Hill. Misspelling persists for decades. fdr
1958, first fire
1951 Chevy pumper, 500 GPM,
750 gallons, front-mounted pump
1950 (?) Autocar tanker, 3000
gallons, no quick dump, former military aviation tanker
(firefighting, w/dual rear pumps?).
later apparatus includes: wcfar
1954 Jeep brush trucks (2)
1956 GMC / Alexander (of
Raleigh) pumper / tanker, 500 GPM, 1250 gallons
1963, new fire station
constructed at 7025 Stony Hill Road. Property donated by
Bill Ray, nearby resident, with stipulation that ownership
reverts back to him if no longer used for fire station. fdr,
1966 (?), apparatus
delivery: 1966 Ford brush
truck w/PTO pump, 140 GPM.
1966 (?), apparatus
delivery: 1966 GMC pumper / tanker, 500 GPM, 2000
gallons, tandem-axle with quick dump, only second quick dump in
County (after Cary), later sold to fire department near
1974, first barbecue held.
Becomes semi-annual event on same Saturday in April and
October. Fire department averages $16,000-$17,000 profit
per cookout (in later years?). Food qualities average (in later
During first year, food runs out
by 2:30 p.m. During second year, food runs out by 3:30
p.m. By fourth or fifth year, correct food quantities
determined. Barbeque continues for twenty or twenty-years, until
discontinued around 1996. oh
apparatus delivery: 1954 Mack B75 / Howe pumper, 750 GPM,
750 gallons. Cost $10,0000. Original owner
1979 (?), apparatus
delivery: 1979 Ford-250
brush truck, 250-300 gallons.
1980, old lodge building
burns across from Woodland Chapel on SR 1922. Fire is
believed suspicious, with several old abandoned houses and barns
burned in the last few weeks. Wake Forest, Bay Leaf,
Rolesville, and Falls fire departments respond as mutual aid.
All are returned to quarters except Wake Forest. (December 11, 1980)
1981, Texas Supper held from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
(April 25, 1981) yfdr
early 1980's, fire department publishes cookbook
of favorite recipes. oh
1983 (?), apparatus
delivery: GMC 7000 / FMC / Bean
tanker, 250-300 GPM, 1250 gallons.
1984, department establishes tax district with
Wake County, enabling funding as percentage of property tax. fdr
1984, station additions: two
more bays and / or rear meeting space.
1984 (?), apparatus
delivery: Chevy 3500 / E-One first-responder / brush truck,
1985, beef barbecue held. (November 2, 1985) wcfar
1987 (?), apparatus
delivery: Ford 8000 / FMC pumper
/ tanker, 1250 GPM, 1000 gallons.
apparatus delivery: 1991 Chevy
30 step van, purchased from Rolesville Fire Department.
siren at Station #1 discontinued. oh
apparatus delivery: 1993 KME / Hale pumper / tanker, 1250
GPM, 1000 gallons.
1995-96, last barbecue held.
Fundraising no longer necessary with changes in tax districts. oh
#2 completed at 15633 New Light Road. fdr
apparatus delivery: 1999 International 4900 / KME pumper /
tanker, 1250 GPM, 1000 gallons.
2001, fire department publishes
revised cookbook. Includes recipe for trademark barbecue
sauce. (June 2001) oh
construction started on new Station #1 at 7037 Stony Hill
Road. The 15,136 square foot facility, a combination
fire and EMS station, will including living and sleeping quarters,
on-site parking for approximately 50 vehicles, and is designed to
accommodate future expansion of dormitory areas. wcm
Part II - Additional Notes - 2016
2008 - Apparatus delivery:
2008 Spartan Metro
Star/Hackney walk-around heavy rescue. First type of this body
built by Hackney. Equipped with rescue and extrication tools on
one side, and fire suppression support on other side. Includes
compliment of ground ladders in rear compartment. Delivered July
2009 - Pumper 264
overturns on Purnell Road, about a half-mile east of Camp
Kanata Road. They were dispatched at 1:31 p.m with Wake Forest and
Falls fire departments to a reported house fire in Wake Forest at
2120 Purnell Road. No fire was found at the house. While
responding, the engine overturned on its side. They reported they
were overturned about 1:38 p.m. Additional fire and EMS units were
immediately dispatched to their accident, including Stony Hill
Pumper 262, Falls Pumper 212, EMS 12, EMS 33, and EMS District
6. Command was assumed by SHFD 101. The three personnel on the
pumper were transported to WakeMed with minor injuries. All were
wearing seat belts. They were treated and released Saturday
evening. Other units on scene included Stony Hill 100, 101; Wake
Forest Car 2, Car 4, Battalion 1, Utility 6, Falls Utility 21, Bay
Leaf 100, Wake EMS Chief 100, and WC 1. Falls and Wake Forest
assisted Stony Hill on scene and also with coverage. They also
helped transfer equipment from Pumper 264 back to the station. The
2005 Pierce Contender was up-righted about 3:20 p.m. and removed
from the scene after 4:00 p.m. Purnell Road was closed between
Camp Kanata and Thompson Mill roads during the
operation. (Saturday before March 1, 2009)mjl-blog
2011 - Apparatus delivery:
2011 Pierce Saber
pumper-tanker, 1250/1000. New Pumper 392 at Station 2. Delivered
April 25. Dedicated and placed in service on June 5, 2011.lw
2015 - Apparatus delivery:
2015 Pierce Impel
pumper-tanker, 1250/1000/20. Pumper 261, serving at Station 1.
Delivered November 24. Placed in service December 10. Dedicated on
January 10, 2016. Replaced 2005 Pierce, moved to Station 2 as
Stony Hill's Mack Before Stony Hill
December 4, 2015 -
In October, this
photo was posted to the SPAAMFAA Facebook group. Stony Hill's
1954 Mack before it was Stony Hill's. The truck originally served
the Independent Fire Company of Westville, NJ, as Engine 77.
The 1954 Mack B/Howe 750/400 was bought by Stony Hill in 1974.
They paid $10,000 for the truck, which was purchased from
Slagle's in South Boston, VA. The truck had been modified there
with a new 500 gallon booster tank. Stony Hill further modified
the truck, with wooden extension to the hose bed. The truck is
still on their roster as a parade pierce.
As for IFC in Westville? They merged with Union Fire Company in
1987, which also protected the town. They merged and formed Westville
[ photo ]
The Curious Case of the Copied Patches
April 19, 2014 -
First was Burlington's design, which was copied by Raleigh in
1986. These were the first uniform patches for the Raleigh Fire
Department. There was a committee that proposed and discussed
designs, as the story goes. The Burlington patch was chosen, and
not coincidentally due to the fact that new Fire Chief Sherman
Pickard was a former member of BFD. (Pickard was appointed as
Raleigh’s chief in 1986. He started his fire service career in
Burlington. He was a member from 1949 to 1955 and left the
department as Director of Training.)
Burlington has since adopted a new design. What year? And when
their prior patch adopted? And did they copy from another
department? (In the earlier decades of the fire service, there
were generic patch designs that were used across numerous
departments throughout the state, and probably the country.) Maybe
readers can help.
Eight years after Raleigh adopted Burlington’s emblem, the
Stony Hill Fire Department in Wake County followed suit. In 1992,
the membership cast their votes for a design, also their first.
Asst. Chief A.C. Rich, who was (and still is) a member of the
Raleigh Fire Department, wasn’t at the meeting. He learned of the
decision later, but only after the produced patches had been
received. SHFD used the design until 2007. (Read
a prior posting about their new patch.)
Archer Lodge Fire Department in Johnson County also copied the
patch design, though they copied Raleigh's emblem. They adopted
the patch in October 2000, and used the design for four years. The
department proposed a new design in March 2004, and it was
accepted in October 2004. (That's their current patch, and the
design was credited to former Fire Chief Pete Barnes.)
The Raleigh Fire Department is still using their patch. The
design also appears on apparatus, signage, and printed materials.
The other three departments, as noted above, have adopted
And that’s the story of that.
Thanks to AC and Duane, for the historical assist.
[ image ]
New Stony Hill patch
November 6, 2007 -
Stony Hill has a new patch. Their prior, original patch was
adopted in 1992. Based on Burlington's emblem, it was identical to
Raleigh's, which was also based on BFD. Raleigh adopted the patch
in the 1980s. The oops was not discovered until after Stony Hill
had placed their first order, and so it was adopted.
See Wake County Fire Chiefs
County apparatus register (pdf).
Raleigh Fire Museum photo albums.
fdr Fire department
oh Oral history
sos NC Department of
the Secretary of State
- wcm Wake County Board of
- wcfa Wake County Firemen's
- yfdr Yrac Fire Department records
Last updated: September 30, 2016