|legeros.com > History > Historic and Former Richmond Firehouses|
Last updated July 28, 2009
to sort table columns!
See album of photos
See album of photos
|E2/T2||2016 E. Main Street||1899||1962||Retired||Engine 2 was placed in service in 1858 at 2025 E. Main Street. It was moved in 1899 to 2016 E. Main Street, and moved again in 1962 to 308 N. 24th Street with Engine 1. On Jan. 1, 1973, Engine 2 was disbanded. The E. Main Street station also housed Truck 2 from 1952 to 1962. Formerly a machine shop, the building is presently vacant.|
|T2||1805 E. Grace St.||1884||1952||Retired||Truck 2 was placed in service in 1858 at the corner of 18th and E. Graceland streets. It moved in 1884 to 1805 E. Grace Street, again in 1952 to 2016 E. Main Street with Engine 2, and again in 1962 to 308 N. 24th Street with Engine 1. Truck 2 was disbanded on Feb. 19, 1998, when Engine 1 and Truck 2 were merged as Quint 1. The building is presently being renovated.|
|E3/T3||411 N. 6th St||1968||1981||Retired||Engine 3
and Truck 1 were placed in service in 1858 at 906 E.
Broad Street. They were moved in 1895 to 908 E. Broad
Street, moved again in 1966 to 723 E. Leigh Street, and
moved again in 1968 to the old armory at 411 N. 6th Street.
The building was built in 1909.
Engine 3 was disbanded on Jul. 1, 1981. In 1984, Truck 1 was moved again to 324 W. Leigh Street with Engine 5. It was disbanded on Jan. 6, 1998, when Engine 5 and Truck 1 became Quint 5. After the fire station closed, the fire department used the second floor of the station as administration offices for several years. The first floor was remodeled into a food court.
|E4||207 N. 3rd St.||1920?||1952||Retired||Engine 4 was placed in service in 1858 at 207 N. 3rd Street. It moved in 1952 to 200 S. Laurel Street with Engine 6, and again in 1966. to 2223 W. Cary Street with Engine 12. It was disbanded on Jul. 1, 1972. The old station presently serves as a restaurant.|
|E5||200 W. Marshall St.||1862||1968||Retired||Engine 5 started as a volunteer fire
company in 1849, and was housed in a combination fire
and police station. It moved in 1862 to 200
W. Marshall Street, and again in 1968 moved to 324 W.
Engine 5 was disbanded on Jan. 6, 1998, when Engine 5 and Truck 1 became Quint 5. Previously used as a fire and police museum, the building presently houses an art studio.
|E8||1018 Williamsburg Rd.||1951||-||Active||Engine 8 was placed in service in 1891 at 500 N. Denny Street. It relocated in 1851 to 1018 Williamsburg Road.|
|E10/T3||1609 W. Broad St.||1905||1993||Retired||Engine 10
was placed in service on Jul.
1, 1905, at 1609 W. Broad Street. It served at that
location until 1993, and was moved to 900 Hermitage
Road. Engine 10 was disbanded on Feb. 12, 1998, and
became Quint 10.
Truck 3 was relocated to 1609 W. Broad Street in 1905. It was disbanded on Jun. 28, 1993, and became Task Force 10. It was disbanded on May 25, 1996, and the truck was removed from service. The old station present serves as a theater playhouse.
|E12||2223 W. Cary St.||1908||-||Active||Engine 12 was placed in service on Nov. 16, 1908 at 2223 W. Cary Street.|
|E15||3011 Meadow Bridge Rd.||1923||1990||Retired||Engine 15 served at 3011 Meadow Bridge Road from 1923 to 1990. It moved to 2614 1st Avenue. The building presently houses a restaurant and community retail space.|
|E17||2915 Bainbridge St.||1915||-||Active||Engine 17 was placed in service in 1915 at 2915 Bainbridge Street.|
|E18||412 N. Thompson St.||1939||-||Active||Engine 18 was placed in service in 1939 at 412 N. Thompson Street.|
|E19||311 Maple Ave.||1945||-||Active||Engine 19 was placed in service in 1941 at 313 Maple Avenue. In 1945, it moved to 311 Maple Avenue.|
|E20||4715 Forest Hill Ave.||1945||-||Active||Engine 20 was placed in service in 1945 at 4715 Forest Hill Avenue.|
|E21||2505 Jefferson Davis Highway||1945||-||Active||Engine 21 was placed in service in 1945 at 2505 Jefferson Davis Highway.|
|E23||1239 Blakemore Rd.||1970||1970||Retired||Engine 23
was placed in service in Dec.
28, 1969 at 2915 Bainbridge Street with Engine 17. On
Jan. 1, 1970, it moved to 1239 Blakemore Road, to the
old Chesterfield Station, Forest View Co. 9, built in
Six months later, Engine 23 moved to temporary quarters at 400 La Brook Concourse, and moved again in 1973 to 495 La Brook Concourse. The building is presently a residence.
Copyright 2018 by Michael J. Legeros