Raleigh Fire Department History

Film Footage


Annotations

Image Type Time Description / Location Apparatus Notes
Prank

00:06

Acting silly while answering call.

Station 1 at 412 South Salisbury Street. See map.
  The Salisbury Street station closed in 1953 when Station 1 was moved to Dawson Street. A parking deck presently occupies the old station site.
Demo

00:45

Answering call.

Station 1 at 412 South Salisbury Street.
1950 FWD, probably Trivia: Land for the present Station 1 was obtained ten years earlier, but materials shortages during the war prevented its immediate construction.


Drill

01:23

Aerial ladder drill.

Memorial Auditorium, north side.
1939/1916 ALF Aerial ladder is spring raised. Operator released a lock that causes the ladder to lift to about a 30-degree position.

Tiller steering wheel was removed before ladder was raised. The seat was hinged and raised to the side. The steering wheel column was also removed to allow access to ground ladders.


Drill

5:08

Ground ladder drills.

Station 2 at Memorial Auditorium. See map.
1939/1916 ALF ladder

1936 ALF pumper

1948 Ford auxiliary truck
Station 2 was located in the southwest corner of Memorial Auditorium and faced west / Fayetteville Street.

Hydrant pressure is utilized for the hose stream.

The 1936 pumper is parked in the station between the ladder and auxiliary truck.
Drill

8:51

Life net drills.

Station 2 at Memorial Auditorium.
  Trivia: By 1950, Engine 2 was no longer in service. When Station 1 moved to Salisbury Street in 1941, the building could not fit either the aerial or service ladder truck. Both were relocated to Station 2.  Engine 2 was returned to service in 1953, after the opening of Station 1.
Prank

9:45

Acting silly while climbing aerial ladder.

Memorial Auditorium.
1939/1916 ALF ladder Ladder could be raised to nearly 90-degree angle.
Drill

  11:40 Aerial ladder climbing.

Memorial Auditorium.
1939/1916 ALF ladder  


Drill

12:34

Hydrant and hose drills.

Memorial Auditorium, east side, facing Wilmington Street. See map.
1926 ALF pumper

1936 ALF pumper

1950 FWD pumper

1939/1916 ALF ladder
The FWD was the first piece of post-war apparatus for the city, followed immediately with the 1950 Mack pumper. Both were delivered with the city seal on the doors.

The 1926 ALF was later restored and is presently stored at Station 27.

White church in background is Shaw Church, built 1948. School building in background is the Shaw Science Hall, built 1924.
Pose

19:15

Posing for camera.

Memorial Auditorium.
1926 ALF pumper

1936 ALF pumper

1950 FWD pumper
Left to right, back to front: ?, Ernest C. "Red Emory", Melvin D. Williams, ?, Joe M. Hobby, ?, Floyd T. Pipkin, ?, W. Edward "Ed" Pollard, ?, James M. Burnett, John W. Godwin, Oscar Summers, Asst. Chief R. Lee Matthews, J. Theodore "Ted" Honeycutt


Demo

  19:43 Smoke mask and first aid demonstrations.

Unknown location.
1948 Ford auxiliary truck First aid includes artificial respiration technique called the Schaeffer Prone Pressure Method. Victim is placed in prone position and pressure is applied to their back just below the diaphragm.
Drill

20:48 Live burn.

Unknown location. High-tension power lines in background may provide clues to location.
1948 Ford auxiliary truck

1950 FWD pumper

The auxiliary truck, also called a "squad," was replaced a prior unit destroyed in a vehicle accident in 1947.The 1948 Ford was still in service past 1963.
Duties

22:59

Unloading hose.

Station 2 at Memorial Auditorium.
  Personnel are barefoot.
Demo

23:24

Returning from call.

Station 1 at 412 South Salisbury Street.
   
Meal

24:08

Firehouse meal.

Station 6
  Uniform shirts are either blue or grey.
Incident

25:00 Dormitory fire

Saint Augustine College, Thomas Building, located parallel to the north section of State Street. See map.

1939/1916 ALF ladder November 25, 1950. Building is girl's dormitory, built in 1910. Sunday fire started shortly before 9 a.m. near a chimney in third-floor reading room. One firefighter was injured. Building was later demolished. See article.
Drill

28:28 Fire pit.

Dorothea Dix Hospital campus, off present Barbour Road, possibly present Umstead Drive. See aerial photos.
1922 ALF service truck

1926 ALF pumper

1948 Ford auxiliary truck

1950 FWD pumper
Hospital building in background is the Council Building.
Demo

29:50 Demonstration.

Ashby Building, Umstead Drive,  Dorothea Dix Hospital See aerial photos.
  Demonstration for city officials.

Note firefighter dressed as a nurse.
Drill

31:15

Live burn.

Location unknown.
   

Maps

Old Sta 1 Old Sta 2 /
Memorial Auditorium
Drill Area /
Shaw University
St. Augustine's
Girl's Dormitory
St. Augustine's

Aerial Photos

Dix Campus Memorial Auditorium /
Shaw University
St. Augustine's

Dormitory Fire Article

 


Home

Search Mike Legeros

Spot an error on this page? Please let me know, just click my name below...

Copyright 2022 by Michael J. Legeros