The picture depicts the Capital Hose Company Running Team on West Morgan Street near South Salisbury Street. The running team was a competition team that participated in tournaments, such as the yearly North Carolina State Firemen's Convention contests. The Capital Hose Company in 1891 operated a four-wheel, horse-drawn hose wagon. Most but not all of the fire companies had horses by 1891. The remaining hand-pulled apparatus was employed by the city's two colored fire companies. The Capital Hose Company was housed on West Morgan Street, around 115 West Morgan Street and across from the water tower. They were joined somewhere between 1899 and 1891 by the Hook and Ladder Company, which relocated from the ground floor of the Market House.
|Home / Reset Frames||
This page was last updated on 02/22/06 08:32:05 PM