Historian Mike Legeros is
conducting an ongoing project to record retiring or retired Raleigh Fire
Department members. The format is an interview, with Mike asking some questions
but mostly listening.
The purpose of this is preservation, and preserving the personal heritage of the Raleigh Fire Department. The digital recordings will be archived and at later point transcribed. The content will also be edited as necessary before any public presentation.
Retiring or retired Raleigh Fire Department members interested in participating in this project can contact Mike either
via e-mail or by telephone. He's
listed in the phone book.
- What is your full name?
- What is your age
- When did you retire?
- What was your retiring rank?
- When were you hired?
- What was your starting salary?
- What were you doing prior to joining the fire department?
- Why did you join the fire department?
- Are you related to any present or former fire department members?
- Are you distantly related to any
- Tell me about the hiring process.
- Do you remember the names of the others hired
at that time?
- Tell me about the training process.
- What was your first station
- What was the first apparatus that
- Who was your first Captain?
- Who else was working at the
- Do you remember your first fire?
- Do you remember your first
- What were some of the bigger
fires or major incidents that you recall?
- Were you active in the union?
- Were you active in other local,
regional, or state professional organizations?
- Tell me about life at the
- Was your family part of the
station life, with regular or rare visits?
- Tell me about pranks or other
silliness at the station.
- Did you have a nickname?
- Do you remember the nicknames of
- How has your health been?
- What else would you tell me about
your experiences as a Raleigh firefighter?
- Bailey, J.
- Bailey, K.
- Blake, O.
- Blalock, R.
- Carter, C.
- Davis, M.
- Dockery, S.
- Fowler, B.
- Fowler, E.
- Franks, M.
- Holden, W.
- Hughes, D.
- Lassiter, M. (widow)
- Lewis, L.
- May, C.
- Moody. R.
- Moore, A.
- Moore, R.
- Partin, E.
- Partn, T.
- Perry, N.
- Pickard, P.
- Ricks. R.
- Rubens, C.
- Sandy, J.
- Scarboro, C.
- Smith, M.
- Summers, D.
- Upchurch, R.
- Walker, N.
- Wall, T.
Spot an error on this page? Please let me know, just click my
Copyright 2019 by Michael J. Legeros