Station 12

3409 Poole Road

Opened October 9, 1974

Faces south
View plaque

4,189 square feet, one story
Architect: McGee, Scovil, and Rairden / Builder: Ray Sparrow Construction

History: Station 12 opened at 9:30 a.m. on October 9, 1974 at 3409 Poole Road and originally served the Worthdale and Apollo Heights areas. Engine 12 was placed in service with a 1951 American LaFrance pumper. The $197,000 station was dedicated on June 22, 1975, along with Stations 14 and 15. The dedication ceremony included a presentation of colors by Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, a welcome by Mayor Clarence E. Lightner, and remarks by Fire Chief Rufus Keith Captain Talmadge House, Fire Marshal John Holmes, and former Fire Chief and Mayor Pro Tem Jack Keeter. Station 12 housed a rescue company from 1978 to 1982, a service ladder company from 1982 to 1988, and a foam unit from 1988 to 2004. It has housed a Battalion Chief since 2001.

Last update: 31DEC12

Lee Wilson photograph

Google Earth photo

Courtesy Raleigh Public Affairs

Home / Reset Frames

This page was last updated on 11/06/13 04:13:48 PM