|300 Oberlin Road||
Opened September 26, 1961
4,627 square feet, one story with
Mike Legeros photo
Serving the Cameron suburbs, the original Station 5 opened on November 18, 1926.
It was located at the site of the present fire station and was addressed 1914
Park Drive. Engine 5 operated a 1920s American LaFrance pumper. The two-story,
single-bay station measured about 30 by 40 feet. The lot was purchased on
November 16, 1925, from L. L. Ivey for $4,275.00. The construction bid was
awarded on July 6, 1926, to H. E. Satterfield for $9,875.00.
In 1949, the interior of the engine house was overhauled. A new kitchen and bath were built, and a new floor was added. By 1958, an aerial ladder was needed on the west side of the city. Expansion of the station was planned, but officials replaced the building instead.
On July 24, 1961, Engine 5 relocated to Station 6 as the new fire station was being completed beside the old one. The new Station 5 opened on September 26, 1961. The address was 300 Oberlin Road. Truck 5 was soon placed in service with a 1961 American LaFrance aerial ladder. The facility cost $60,000. Demolition of the old station was performed by firefighters. The bricks were saved and used to build a smokehouse beside the training tower three years later.
On December 2, 1964, the Bryan Building at Cameron Village burned. The fire was extinguished with the help of a trailer-mounted foam generator that was brought to the scene by a salesman. Cameron Village owner Willie York was so impressed with the machine that he purchased one for the fire department, with the provision that it was stored at nearby Station 5.
Foam Unit 5 was placed in service on December 30, 1965. Carried on a 1965 International light truck, the $2,100 foam generator had a 30-inch fan that produced a mixture of water and detergent at a rate of 35,000 square-feet per minute. A second foam unit, purchased by the city, was already in service at Station 1.
Truck 5 received a 1979 Mack/1958 American LaFrance aerial ladder in 1980. Truck 5 was removed from service on March 16, 1987. Foam Unit 5 was retired on November 11, 1990.
Station 5 also housed an air unit from 1991 to 2007. The 1988 GMC/Union City extended panel van was placed in service at Station 5 on December 14, 1991. Named SR 1 and later SR 5, it was moved to Station 8 on January 1, 2007.
On April 11, 2016, Station 5 closed in preparation for a major renovation project. Engine 5 relocated to Station 6, as temporary quarters. The "down to the walls" renovation replaced all interior walls, windows, furnishings, fixtures, electrical, plumbing, HVAC systems, and more. Station 5 re-opened on November 10, 2016.
On May 29, 2017, Engine 6 relocated to Station 5, temporarily housed while their engine house was demolished and rebuilt.
Last updated: June 2, 2016.
|Home / Reset Frames||
This page was last updated on 06/01/17 09:48:39 PM