3,984 square feet, one story
Architects: McGee, Scovil, and Rairden / Builder: Micham Construction
History: Station 16 opened
on February 9, 1979 at 5225 Lead Mine Road.
Engine 16 was placed in service with a 1978 Mack pumper. Twelve firefighters
manned the station on Raleigh's northern borders, at one end of the Yorkgate
subdivision. The $225,000 station was dedicated on
1979. The ceremony, scheduled one week early, was postponed due to a snowstorm. Twelve firefighters manned the station.
Truck 16 was placed in service on
June 8, 1979 with a 1964 GMC service ladder truck. Two years later, Truck 16
received a 1961 American LaFrance aerial ladder. In 1988, the rear of
the apparatus bay was extended to accommodate a 1979 Mack / 1958 American
LaFrance tractor-drawn aerial ladder. Truck 16 was renamed Ladder 16 on August 21, 2006. It was moved to Station 17 in 2009.
Last updated: 31DEC12
Mike Legeros photographs
Google Earth photo
Dedication, April 2, 1979 News & Observer photograph courtesy North Carolina State Archives