Chapel Hill Fire Department History
Last updated: October 25, 2018
Note: Still making some updates. Adding some town minutes excerpts on 10/24.
This page presents research notes and other information collected by
Historian Mike Legeros during a multi-month, deep-dive research project
in 2018. See his Research Notes for the findings, which are presented in
a tabular form with annotations.
- Alarm codes, 1956
- Annual reports, 1971-1973
- Newspaper articles, 1893-present
- Sanborn Maps, 1911, 1915
- Town Minutes excerpts, 1927-2004
for more blog posts
archived blog posts
- Chapel Hill newspaper articles from 1993 to present are
available via the State
Library of North Carolina, via their
resources, via NewsBank America's News, which requires a State
Library card, which are free.
- Chapel Hill newspaper articles are also available at the
State Archives, on
microfilm, in the reading room. Also, microfilm copies are available
at the Chapel Hill Public Library.
- Chapel Hill newspaper articles are also available in bound,
printed form via the
Historical Society, by appointment at their office, which is
located at the Chapel Hill Public Library.
- Daily Tar Heel newspaper articles from 1893 to 1992 are
via Digital NC. The search function is finicky. Also try
manually manipulating the URL of search results, for faster changes
to keyword searches.
View as JPG (2.0M)
View as PDF (2.0M)
Spot an error on this page? Please let me know, just click my
Copyright 2020 by Michael J. Legeros