Seven stations protecting 33.7square miles and 93,931 residents.
Station 8 opened at 903 Kent Road, occupying a rented residence north of Seymour's Auto Service at the intersection of Western Boulevard and Kent Road. The rental rate is $100 per month. Engine 8 placed in service with a 1958 American LaFrance pumper and the crew from Engine 9, the second engine company at Station 1. Six men are assigned to each shift.
Photos and more information. (April 1,
Apparatus note: Tanker 2 placed in service at Station 2 with 1960 GMC / Alexander tanker. Photos and more information. (April 1, 1960)rfd
Apparatus note: Tanker 1 placed in service at Station 8 with 1960 GMC / Alexander tanker. Photos and more information. (by May 19, 1960)rfd
Carolina Builders warehouse at Dawson and Lane Streets burned.
Fire reported at 6:41 p.m. from Box 41 by a passing motorist. One-story brick
building, with 6,000 square-feet of floor space, serves as window-assembly
plant. Smoke surges for several blocks before firefighters, "wearing gas masks,"
can "batter down the heavy doors and bring the smoldering blaze under control."
Loss $41,000. E1, E4, T1, R1, E3. [MF] (September 23, 1960)rt24sep60, rfd
Apparatus note: Second service truck company placed in service as Truck 7 with 1922 American LaFrance service truck. Photos and more information.
(October 25, 1960)rfd
McAllister Building Supply at 414 Dupont Circle burned.
Fire reported at 12:05 p.m. by telephone. Loss $65,000. E1, E2, T1,
E3, R1, E5, E4 at Station 1, E4 to scene for overhaul. Fire reported
again that night and next day, one engine sent both times. [MF] (February 21,
James H. Anderson building at 418 W. Peace St. burned.
Fire reported at 4:10 p.m. by telephone. Loss $51,097.33. E1, E4, T6, R1,
E5, T1, E3 at Station 1, E3 to scene for overhaul. [MF] (April 7, 1961)rfd
Apparatus note: Second engine company returned to service at Station 1 as Engine 10. (April 21, 1961)rfd
- 1961 American LaFrance Series 900 pumper, later placed in service as Engine 1.
- 1961 American LaFrance Series 900 pumper, later placed in service as Engine 5.
Photos and more information. (March 1961)
Rainbow Cleaners at Glenwood Village burned.
Fire reported at 2:26 a.m. by telephone. Damage includes barber shop. Loss
$62,259. E4, E6, T6, E3, R1. [MF] (April 7, 1961)rfd
Apparatus delivered: 1961 American LaFrance 900 Series aerial ladder, later placed in service as Truck 5. Photos and more information. (April 1961)
Rectory at Catholic Orphanage burns. Reverend
Raymond J. Donohue ignites roof while attempting to burn 14 wasp nests in the
eaves. Fanned by a breeze, the flames quickly spread to the upper rooms and
roof. Firefighters battle the 11:16 a.m. blaze for 30 minutes before bringing
under control. Some 5,400 feet of hose are stretched to the nearest hydrant on
Western Boulevard, a quarter of a mile away. The 20-room, two-story frame
building is nearly a total loss. One firefighter, Walton Ferrell, is injured,
spraining his back while holding a hose line. Building also houses the Nazareth
branch post office. [UF] (July 13, 1961)no14jul61
Station 5 closed at 1914 Park Drive. Engine 5 relocates to Station 6 while new station is completed on same lot. Firefighters begin demolishing the old station, with the bricks later used to build a smokehouse beside the drill tower. Photos and more information.
(July 24, 1961)rfd
Apparatus note: Truck 6 removed from service as 1922 American LaFrance service truck retired. (July 24, 1961)rfd
Station 5 opened at 300 Oberlin Road, adjacent to former station located on same lot. The single-story station houses an engine and truck company. Photos and more information.
(September 26, 1961)rt26jul61, oh
Apparatus note: Second aerial truck company placed in service as Truck 5 with 1961 American LaFrance aerial ladder. Photos and more information. (by October 4, 1961)rfd
Fatal fire at 323 Hillsboro Street. Pre-dawn blaze kills one man and forces "20 other persons from their apartments."
Fire reported 2:18 a.m. by telephone and "two and a half hours later, more than 100 Raleigh firemen
[have] the blaze under control." Hillsboro Apartments building, a
three-story concrete and wood-frame structure built in 1880 by merchant S. C. Pool, is "almost a total loss." Fire Chief Jack
Keeter says "fire apparently started in the basement of the 14-apartment building located in the 300 block of Hillsboro Street across from the Women's club" and "flames apparently spread through the central part of the building between the old Will
Wren home place structure front on Hillsboro Street and a newer addition on the back." Firefighters rescue three residents, one of who is taken to the emergency room and released. More than a " half a dozen ambulances" standby on Morgan and Hillsboro streets as the fire rages. Fire is finally brought under control "about 6:30 a.m." One firefighter is injured, Johnny Turner, "veteran of many years of fire fighting," is "struck on the shoulder by a fire hose." He is treated for "strained muscles and bruises at Wake Memorial Hospital." Lawrence Collins, "janitor in the building for many years," is found dead in his basement apartment. The Firemen's Auxiliary Coffee Committee, made up of firemen's wives, also responds. "The stacks of sandwiches went down fast. (all off-duty firemen had been called in, so there were quite a few on hand)" reports accompanying "Women's World" column. Reports the Raleigh Times "a young blonde girl pleaded with firemen to let her go inside the burning Hillsboro Apartments building. 'There's something I have to get,' she insisted as Fire Chief Jack
Keeter looked skeptical. The girl, Eve Prichard who works at Ivey-Taylors,
is wearing housecoat and bedroom slippers. Just a short time before she had fled from her apartment to escape the flames and smoke. Her pleading
is insistent, and the stern chief relents. Fire has been doused in the end of the house where the girl lived. Chief
Keeter leads the way inside. Another gallant firemen, observing all the water on the floor,
gives the girl a ride on his back. The trio disappear inside. Soon they came back. And Eve, still riding on the fireman's back, displays her left hand. She
wears her wedding band, the 'something' she had to go in and get." Loss
$70,000. [MF] (September 16, 1961)no17sep61, rt18sep61, rfd
Boylan-Pearce department store 416 Woodburn Road in Cameron Village burned.
Fire reported at 4:20 p.m. by telephone. Though fire is contained to stock room,
more than 100 shoppers flee the smoke-filled store. Blaze is brought under
control within 15 minutes. One firefighter, Captain J. M. Hobby, suffers burns
on right hand. Loss $19,044. E4, E5, T5, E10, R1, T1. [MF] (December 13, 1961)no14dec61, rfd
Apparatus note: New automobiles purchased for " firefighters" during Fiscal Year 1961 at cost of $8,872.90. cad
Apparatus note: Squad company placed in service at Station 6 with 1948 Ford auxiliary truck at 8:00 a.m. Two firefighters are assigned to the company. Squad was previously housed at Station 1. (January 17, 1962)rfd
Apparatus note: Truck 7 removed from service. (by April 8, 1962).rfd
Raleigh Rescue Squad described in May 23, 1962 News & Observer article as comprised of "some 25 to 30 volunteers, led by Raleigh firemen Harold Jones and Ralph Hailey," and who "serve only on the Rescue Squad, each heading a 12-hour shift." Twelve other squad members are firemen who "serve on the Rescue Squad in their off-duty hours. Other members of the squad are railroad dispatchers, bus drivers, insurance men, store clerks..." The squad answers "a hundred or more calls a year," such as the Burlington Mills Finishing Plant worker who had climbed on top of an elevated coal bin to "shake down coal that had stuck to the sides of the bin." The worker lost his footing and fell through the hatch, ending up "buried up to his nose in coal." The rescue squad was called and soon called for "the big aerial truck and a doctor." The doctor was "lowered head-first through the hatch to give the man a shot to prevent shock." A hole was chopped "in the side of the bin" and the coal level lowered enough to allow rescues to tie a rope around the trapped worker. "Rolling stock of the Rescue Squad includes two trucks, a white panel truck and a larger, van-type vehicle. Both trucks are equipped with an artificial resuscitator and an oxygen inhaler." The squad also has "two complete scuba diving sets which Jones and Hailey have been trained to use." In addition to "the hundred or more emergency calls, the Rescue Squad also answers 'standby calls.'" Explains Fire Chief Jack
Keeter "'The Rescue Squad is used to stand by at fires in areas where there is danger of persons being overcome by smoke, fumes, or burned. They also stand by at schools during bomb scares... The boys are trained also to work with fire hazards in connection with atomic energy and in monitoring or checking radioactivity in an area..." (May 23, 1962)no23may62
Apparatus notes: Two automobiles, approved for purchase from Sir Walter Raleigh Chevrolet by City Council. (October 31, 1962)
Hayes Barton Baptist Church at 1800 Glenwood Avenue burned.
Fire reported at 6:03 a.m. from Box 622 by a passing congregation member. Fire
is controlled by 8:45 a.m. The sanctuary and old education building are
destroyed. Three firefighters are struck by parts of falling roof and
transported to Rex Hospital for emergency treatment: George Coats, burned on
right hand and slight scalp lacerations; Leland Frazier, first and second degree
burns on both hands; and Reginald Poole, small scalp laceration. Loss to the 34
year-old building is $477,455. E4, E6, T5, R1, Squad, E10, E5, E1, T1. [MF]
(September 5, 1962)rt05sep62,rfd
Exhibition Building at State Fair burned. Three rows of display booths are destroyed.
Engine 1, Engine 5, and Truck 5 respond as mutual aid to the 1-story masonry and
steel structure. See Fairgrounds Fire Department timeline.
[MA] (September 22, 1962)no23sep62
Fire department vehicles at end of 1961-62 fiscal year: three cars, nine pumpers, three ladder trucks, two rescue trucks, one maintenance truck, one fire alarm truck, one squad truck, two tankers, and four reserve trucks.ar
First black firefighter reported for duty, the city's first black firefighter
since the disbanding of the volunteer Victory Company in 1912. (February 14, 1963)yb84
Station 9 opened at 4465 Six Forks Road at 1:30 p.m.. Engine 9 assigned 1951 American LaFrance pumper. Tanker 9 placed in service with 1960 GMC / Alexander tanker. Photos and more information.
(February 14, 1963)yb02+, rt30jan63, rfd
Station 8 opened at 5001 Western Boulevard, replacing rented structure at 903 Kent Road. Photos and more information. (After February 14, 1963)rt21feb63
Oak City Laundry at 436 S. Salisbury St. burned.
Fire reported at 2:05 p.m. by telephone. Loss to the two-story brick
building is $19,612. T1, R1, E1, E2, E3, E10. [MF?] (April 4, 1963)no, rfd
Station 4 opened at 2913 Wake Forest Road, replacing old station 505 Jefferson Street. Photos and more information. (April 12, 1963)rfd
Apparatus note: Truck 7 returned to service after firefighters build service truck on 1963 Ford chassis. Parts include ladder mounts from 1922 American LaFrance service truck. Photos and more information.
(by June 15, 1963)rt14jun63
Propane tanker crashed into two trees on curve between Boylan Avenue and Boylan Drive.
Firefighters hose down area as a precaution after roadblocks are set up.
Accident occurs about 6:45 a.m., injuring the driver. [UI] (August 7, 1963)no
Charcoal Steak House at intersection of Milburnie Road
and New Bern Avenue damaged by fire. Glass panel is broken in restaurant
lobby and gasoline is poured into building, then ignited. Fiberglass curtains
inside the lobby window apparently prevent fire from spreading to the rest of
the $180,000 building. [MF] (August 25, 1963)no
Camp Polk mattress plant and woodworking warehouse on Blue Ridge Road burned.
Fire reported at 3:08 p.m. by telephone. Both buildings are destroyed by the wind-fanned flames.
Engine 5 and Engine 8 respond as mutual aid with Fairgrounds Fire Department.
Loss $46,500. [MF] (November 14, 1963)rfd
Fire Prevention Bureau enlarged to six full-time personnel. yb84
Apparatus note: automobile purchased for "Fire Prevention" during Fiscal Year 1963 at cost of $1793.52 cad
Angus Barn at 9401 Glenwood Avenue burned. Fire
reported 7:35 a.m. by telephone, by passing truck driver. Rural fire departments
are dispatched from Morrisville, Six Forks, and Fairgrounds, along with Raleigh
Tanker 9. By the time firefighters arrive, the roof has caved in and, by 8 a.m.,
"only the charred and cracked walls" stand above a "pile of cinders and twisted
metal." Damage about $250,000.
[MA] (February 7, 1964)no08feb64, rfd
Town and Country Furniture Store
at 2128 Western Boulevard burned. Fire reported 3:12 a.m. by telephone, by
News & Observer employee passing building. Flames sweep through the two-story
cinder block structure early Sunday morning. When firefighters arrive, "flames
[have] already eaten away much of the interior and were licking out through a
service door at the rear of the structure." Flames are brought under control by
6 a.m. but are "blazing again late Sunday afternoon." Firefighters maintain a
"24-hour watch on the building," which was "constructed some 15 years ago and
was opened as the Club Bon Air, a plush supper club. About three years later,
WNAO-TV and WKIX radio moved broadcast studios and administrative offices into
the building. Town and Country Furniture Co. occupied the building six years ago
when the television station suspended operations." E2, E10, E8, T1, R1, T5 for
clean-up, E1 again at 2:27 p.m. for smoldering. Loss $103,616.25. [MF] (February
23, 1964)no24feb64, rfd
Fire Chief ordered to stop "using City firefighting equipment for pumping
water to private swimming pools" after two previous years of assisting citizens
who both paid for the water and a "$1 fee for the use of each section of fire
hose." (May 1964)no05may64
Budget for 1964-65 includes approval for:
- Two additional Fire Inspectors, increasing the number to five
- Four additional Fire Dispatchers, increasing the number to eight
- One additional Fire Alarm Technician, increasing the number to two. (July 1, 1964)bd
Plane crashed at Raleigh Municipal Airport.
Single-engine aircraft, only recently purchased, begins losing power about 100
feet above the runway after taking off. Pilot attempts to turn around and plane
nose-dives to earth. Pilot is killed, passenger, nine year-old son, survives.
[AA] (August 1, 1964)no02aug64
Smokehouse erected next to drill tower, using bricks from old Station 5. Photos and more information. (by August 13, 1964)rt13aug64
Warren's Restaurant at 301 W. Martin St. burned. Three
alarms. Fire reported at 4:45 a.m. by verbal alarm. The half-century old,
two-story brick and frame building blazes for three hours after starting in
kitchen of restaurant and spreading through air conditioning ducts. Adjacent
offices also damaged.E1, T1, E10, T1, R1, E2, E3, E4, T7, T5, E4 filling in at
Station 1. E10 returns twice next day for smoldering, plus T7 next day for
clean-up. Loss $383,954.15. [MF] (October 1, 1964)rt, no, fp.
City Council authorized purchase of the " expenditure of up to $4000" for a
foam truck and equipment. (October 5, 1964)rt06oct64
Raleigh competed with Winston-Salem during Fire Prevention Week
to see which city has the least amount of fire damage. (October 4-10, 1964)rt
Portable Restaurant at State Fairgrounds burned. Raleigh provides mutual aid to Fairgrounds Fire Department and "rural departments from Cary and Apex." Damage is estimated at $100,000. Fire breaks out at night and is watched by thousands of spectators.
[MA] (October 14, 1964)no14oct64
Fire Department reported as having problems filling vacant positions,
with 15 slots still open. (October 29, 1964)rt
Jeffreys' Food Store at corner of New Bern Avenue and Tarboro Road burned.
Fire reported 9:47 p.m. by telephone. Five firefighters "narrowly" escape injury
when the roof falls in. First alarm is sounded at 9:47 p.m. Only injury is
suffered by firefighter who steps on nail. E3, E7, T7, E10, R1. $39,000. [MF?]
(November 10, 1964)rt11nov64, rfd
Fire Chief's car collided with another at intersection
of McDowell and Jones Street. Chief Keeter, en route to morning fire
call, enters intersection "with the red light on his car blinking and the siren
on." The driver of the other car is charged with a moving violation, for driving
without her glasses. [AI] (Wednesday before November 20, 1964)no20nov64
Williams Hall and Withers Hall at State College burned. State Bureau of Investigation begins probe, believe same to be set.
[UF] (December 18, 1964)
Bryan Building at Cameron Village burned. Fire
reported 5:25 a.m. by verbal alarm. Flames damages one third of block-long,
two-story, masonry and frame building on west side of Daniels Street, including Bryan Building. Same is started in kitchen of Hofbrau.
(Restaurant)and, per approval of Chief Keeter, is extinguished with assistance
of trailer foam generator towed salesman passing through Raleigh. Cameron
Village owner Willie York so impressed that he purchases one for the fire
department, with the provision that the unit is stationed at the nearby fire
station. E5, E6, T5, R1, E10, E10, E4, T1. Loss $634,699. [MF] (December 2,
Vehicle purchase: Automobile for "Fire Prevention" during Fiscal Year 1964 at cost of $1774.77. cad
Lucille Hunter School at 1018 E. Davie St. burned.
Three+ alarms. Fire reported 11:40 p.m. by telephone. Two-story brick
structure. E2, E3, T1, E10, R1, E1, T7, E4 at 1 and T5 at 1, E5 at 1, T5, E4,
E5, E10, T7 clean-up. Loss $283,000. [MF] (January 21, 1965)rfd
Apparatus delivered: First foam unit purchased, a 3/4 ton light truck with high-expansion foam generator purchased during Fiscal Year 1965 at a cost of $1708.88 (truck)and $2056.75 (generator). Photos and more information.
Dispatcher Roy High, one of four fire department dispatchers, is profiled in a Raleigh Times article on January 28, 1965. Details of the dispatching system include:
- when an alarm box is pulled on the street, a gong automatically sounds in every fire station. The number of beats corresponds to the box number
- the veteran dispatcher knows nearly every box by heart. Most of the firefighters at a given station know the box locations in their coverage areas
- the dispatcher has a file of cards showing box locations and which companies answer first and second alarms
- the ringing of a box alarm is also recorded on a tape-punch machine
- when a telephone alarm is received, the dispatcher presses a button that sounds two gongs in the station houses. This signal tells the firefighters that a fire has been reported by telephone and a radio dispatch is forthcoming
- the dispatcher has another file of cards listing street locations and which companies answer them
- the same file has red tabs indicating that an invalid lives at that location
- the dispatcher also receives fire calls for 17 rural fire departments and can activate warning sirens prior to radio dispatches
- the dispatcher also receives fire calls from numerous private-owned and automatic alarm boxes at various commercial and industrial sites
- the dispatcher has a third file of cards noting emergency contacts for businesses
- the dispatcher also receives all after-hours emergency calls for other City departments and maintains a list of personnel to be notified
- the dispatcher also maintains the County Civil Defense equipment and conducts a test of same on the first Wednesday of every month
- one wall of the "radio room" is a board containing the names of all fire
department personnel with home telephone numbers, so off-duty firefighters
can be recalled in needed. Colored tabs indicate whether someone is sick or
taking vacation. Additionally, the fire department maintains a second radio
system that can be operated by a generator in the event of a power failure.
(January 28, 1965)rt28jan65
Apparatus note: Second engine company at Station
1 removed from service. Engine 10 is briefly returned to service between
February 22 and 23, but remains out of service until March 21, 1969. (February
Apparatus note: Truck 6 returned to service with 1964 GMC service truck. Five firefighters are assigned to the truck company. Photos and more information.
(February 8, 1965)rfd
Four buildings at State College damaged by six fires on same day. Holliday Hall is one of the buildings damaged by the intentional fires.
[UF] (February 9, 1965)
Pullen Hall at State College damaged by fire. Intentional blaze causes minor damage.
[UF] (February 1965)
Blazing telephone book discovered at Berry Dormitory at State
[UF] (February 1965)
Pullen Hall at State College destroyed by fire. Two
alarms. Fire reported 10:25 p.m. Another fire is spotted and extinguished in
basement lounge of Brooks Hall. Watauga Hall, a girl's dormitory, is evacuated
as hot embers strike the roof. Firefighters wet the roof of Watauga and other
buildings, including Holladay Hall. Fire is apparently underway for sometime
before reported to fire department after explosion is heard. Flames shoot as
high as 100 feet in the air from the three-story brick dormitory. Peele Hall
also damaged. Two firefighters are injured, Captain Floyd T. Pipkin, who breaks
his leg while jumping a fence, and firefighter Charles A. Lloyd, of suffers a
sever cut after his foot is caught between the rungs of an aerial ladder being
raised. A number of students are also injured, helping to carry filing cabinets
out of Peele Hall. They're treated at the campus infirmary. Eighteen year-old
ex-student is charged and later admits to setting Pullen and seven other fires.
E1, E5, T5, E6, T6. Loss $169,000. [MF] (February 22, 1965)yb84, rfd
Britt Company at 310 S. Harrington St. burned.
Fire reported 1:55 p.m. from Box 334. Two-story brick building. E1, E2,
T1, E6, R1, E5, E3, E4 standing by. Loss $161,500. [MF] (March 14, 1965)rfd
Fire department suffered second line-of-duty death when Paul A. "Pallie" Mimms dies on duty during fire at 1908 Hillsboro Street.
The line-of- duty death occurs when the 41 year-old Mimms faints while
operating a pumper and is pronounced dead on arrival at Rex Hospital. The
fire at Norden Laboratories Inc. was discovered about 12:15 a.m.; Mimms is
the driver of Engine 5. Mimms had been a fireman since 1951 and is buried at
Montlawn Memorial Park on April 22, 1965. (April 20, 1965)no21apr65
Pender Manufacturing & Supply Company at 1522 N. Blount
St. burned. Fire reported 9:50 p.m. from Box 632. Metal and brick
structure. E6, E4, T6, R1, E1, T7, E3, E7 watching for sparks at Mayview
Home, E9 standing by, E5 standing by, E4 returning to scene for smoldering.
Loss $86,200. [MF] (April 21, 1965)rfd
Building at 423 Daniels Street burned. Fire reported at 11:52 a.m. The
brick structure is damaged by an electric and gas explosion. E5, E6, T5, R1,
T1, Foam 1. Loss $14,606. [UF] (May 6, 1965)rfd
Dispatcher / switchboard operator moved from front room at Station 1 to alarm house behind Station 1. (Spring 1965)rt21jun65
Steer Steak House at 1625 Louisburg Road burned.
Reported 3:55 a.m. by telephone by passing motorist. Firefighters battle the
blaze in a heavy rainstorm. Fire is started by faulty thermostat on deep-fat
fryer. The restaurant was built in 1948 and operated for 10 years as Johnny's
Supper Club. E7, E3, T7, E4, foam, R1, T1, T5 fill in at 1, E7 wet down next
day. Loss $136,416. [MF] (July 28, 1965)no29july65, rfd
Woodworking shop at Camp Polk burned. Raleigh
responds to assist Fairgrounds Fire Department. [MF?] (September 23, 1965)rt23sep65
Concession stands at State Fairgrounds burned.
Fire reported 4:09 a.m. by telephone. Raleigh responds as mutual aid with Fairgrounds Fire Department.
Engine 5. See Fairgrounds Fire Department timeline.
(September 29, 1965)
Fire Prevention Week contest held between Raleigh and Durham.
City with smallest amount of fire damage between October 3 and October 9 will
receive trophy. For past two years, Raleigh has competed and won against
Winston-Salem with losses of only $57 during Fire Prevention Week in 1963 and
$236 in 1964. Also during this year's Fire Prevention Week: 45 garden clubs
compete for four cash prizes, for best displays on eliminating home fire
hazards; a display of old and new firefighting equipment on Fayetteville Street
in front of the courthouse; a program pushed to identify homes containing
invalids, providing stickers to mark those homes and adding their names to 315
already listed by fire department. Mayor Travis Tomlinson has also designated
October 28 as Home Fire Drill Day. Radio and television stations will assist
fire department and at 6:55 p.m. on that day, sirens will signal the home fire
drill. (October 3, 1965)rt24sep65
Capital Mercantile Company at 313 W. Martin Street burned.
Fire reported 7:02 p.m. by firefighter Harold Jones, who sees smoke while
standing behind Station 1. Two-story brick building. Blaze chars interior of the first floor which houses the wholesale dry goods company.
E1, E3, R1, E2, E4, T1, E6 at 1, T7 at 1. Loss $83,212.67. [MF] (October 11, 1965)no13oct65,
Annual training for Wake County volunteer firefighters held at Station 1.
Classes are held for four days from 7 to 10 p.m. Future Raleigh Fire Chief
Sherman Pickard from State Department of Insurance supervises same. Courses
offered: Fire Rescue, Volunteer Fire Department Administration, Fire Prevention
Practices, Pump Operations, Structural Firefighting Tactics, Gas Control Fire
and Breathing Apparatus. Some 200 volunteer firefighters are expected to attend.
(October 18, 1965)rt18oct65
Apparatus note: City Council approved "repairing and rebuilding" of Engine 2, Engine 3, and Engine 4. (October-November, 1965)
Tenth anniversary of Sunday School classes celebrated.
(November 7, 1965)las
Walker-Sizer Dental Company warehouse at 220 W. Davie Street burned.
Fire reported 1:16 p.m. by telephone. Started by workman's torch. E2, E1, T1,
R7, T7. Loss $88,000. [MF?] (December 8, 1965)no09dec65
Garage of firefighter Oscar Summers at 710 E. Franklin Street burned.
Summers responds on the truck company that answers the call. The garage is
destroyed. [UF] (December 28, 1965)no29dec65
Apparatus delivered: Second foam machine, donated by Willie York. Cost $2,100. Machine has 30 inch fan that blows mixture of water and detergent at rate of 35,000 square-feet a minute. Foam Unit 5 placed in service. Photos and more information.
A&P Food Store at 800 N. Person Street burned.
Fire reported 8:15 p.m. from Box 13. Smoke from one-story brick structure is
visible from "as much as 15 blocks away" and flames leap "100 feet into the air"
at times. Fire controlled by midnight. E3, E7, T7, E4, T1, R1, E1, E5 at 1, T5
at 1, T7 for clean-up. Loss $205,000. [MF] (February 22, 1966)rt23feb66, rfd
Vehicle delivered: New Chief's car and new
maintenance truck. (March 1966)cn
Building at 220 E. Martin Street burned. Two+
alarms. Fire reported 10:13 p.m. by telephone. Joy's Grill and Taylor Radio
Shop. E3, E2, T7, E1, T1, R1, E4 at 1, Foam 1, E5 at 1. Loss $31,250. [MF]
(April 2, 1966)rfd
White Oil Company at 1115 W. Lenior St. burned.
Two+ alarms. Fire reported 9:25 a.m. by telephone. One-story brick structure.
E1, E2, T6, E4, T1, R1, E5 at 1, T5 at 1, E4 at 1. Loss $18,000. [MF] (April 16,
Eight railroad freight cars derail and burn just south of Wake Forest.
Raleigh's foam unit responds outside of the city for the first time. [MA] [RA]
(April 23, 1966)no24apr66
R. E. Quinn furniture store at 108 E. Martin Street burned.
Fire reported 9:45 p.m. from Box 23. "Spectacular fire" Friday night threatens
"entire block in downtown Raleigh." Damage to the three-story brick and frame
building and contents is estimated at $500,000. "Two adjoining furniture firms,
Rhodes, Inc., at 301 S. Wilmington St. and the Carter's Inc. branch store at 112
E. Martin St.," suffer several thousand dollars in "water and smoke damage."
Flames shoot more than a hundred feet into the air and sparks shower the entire
block. The first piece of apparatus arrives at 9:48 p.m. Fire Chief Jack Keeter
notes "the entire front of the ground floor at Quinn's blew out as firemen were
hooking up their first lines of hose. 'Pressure from the heat built up in the
building and blew all the windows out of the front'." Firefighters battled the
blaze with "nine companies, which included six pumper engines and three ladder
trucks." At 10:45 p.m., "the power lines along Martin Street shorted out,
blacking out all street lights for two city blocks." The furniture store caught
fire only once before in the 44 years "the firm had been there. The other fire
occurred about 40 years ago" but, advises the manager, "was 'nothing compared to
this one.'" E1, E3, T1, T7, R1, E2, E4, E5 at 1, T5, T6 at 1, E5, E6 at 1, E6,
E7 at 1, T7 clean-up, E3 for rekindle. Loss $180,500. [MF] (May 27, 1966)no28may66, rfd
City firefighters have no limits on calls, reported a News & Observer
article. Fire Chief Jack Keeter says "'Where a community has its own fire
department,' we don't send help until we're 'asked to do so. Then it's a go.'"
In the past, the Raleigh Fire Department has sent "fire trucks and men to help
fight fires in Smithfield, Garner, Clayton, Apex, Sanford," and Cary.
says he's never sent firefighters to Durham "'but we would if [they] called'."
The Raleigh Fire Department doesn't bill property owners "outside the corporate
limits." and, unlike many other fire departments, "firemen turn chairwomen after
the blaze is out and help clean up the premises, unless the building is
destroyed." Firemen are "on the payroll anyway, so it doesn't cost taxpayers
anything for the cleaning and swapping they do after the fire has been put out."
Firefighters in many other cities "feel it's beneath their dignity to shoulder a
mop and a pail." (May 1966)no
Budget for 1966-67 included approval for one additional secretary, increasing the number to two. (July 1, 1966)bd
Apparatus delivered: 1966 Chevrolet panel truck, placed in service as Rescue 1. Photos and more information.
(August 18, 1965)rfd
Fire department softball team won championship of AA Industrial League. (August 25, 1960)
Public hearing held to enlarge Raleigh's "primary and secondary fire
districts." City Planning Director A. C. notes the present fire district "has
not been revised since the 1930's" and "most fire underwriters recommend that it
be changed every few years." The present primary fire district covers an area
"centering around Fayetteville Street and does not even include the Municipal
Building" and is bounded roughly by "Hillsborough Street and New Bern Avenue on
the north," "Cabarrus Street on the south," "Blount Street on the east," and "
McDowell Street on the west." The district also includes "several blocks bounded
by Salisbury Street on the west, Wilmington Street on the east, South Street on
the south, and Cabarrus Street on the north." The proposed expansion would add
an area "roughly bounded by Lane Street on the north, Harrington Street on the
west, the Southern Railroad tracks on the south, and Person Street on the east.
The Person Street side would be manipulated so as to include the Federal
Building slated for construction within the next few years." This area would
also be surrounded "almost completely by a secondary fire district" except for
"the part of the proposed primary fire district which would border on the
Southside redevelopment area." The size of the primary district would be
more than doubled. Bulk s torage of flammable or explosive materials above
ground level is not allowed in buildings within the primary fire district, and
the buildings must have a one-hour fire rating. Restrictions would also apply to
buildings in the secondary district, though not as strick. Bulk storage of
flammables and explosives would be allowed, for example. (September 5, 1967)no05sep67,
No major fires reported.
Raleigh Firemen's Club, Inc. organized. It began as
discussions among department members in 1967. They wanted to develop a
facility outside of the fire stations that could be used both professionally
and socially, to develop and cultivate a greater spirit of companionship
between members of the department. Discussions were held on how to develop
long-range plans. After consulting a lawyer, the group organized as a club
and incorporated on February 2, 1968. The first officers were John Hester as
President, Augustus Woodlief as Vice President, Ned Perry as Secretary,
Lealon Frazier as Treasurer, and Ellis Beasley as Sergeant-at-Arms. The
charter members were Hester, Woodlief, Perry, Frazier, Beasley, Lewis
Bartholomew, Ollie Blake, James Ellis, and Reggie Poole, and all of whom
served as the original Board of Directors. That year, 113 of 180 firefighters
joined. Also in 1968, the club purchased 11.74 acres of land on what was
named Six Forks Road about eight miles north of Station 9, near the site of
the proposed Falls Lake reservoir. They began clearing the land, and soon
constructed picnic tables and a large wooden shelter. In 1972, the Army
identified 3.63 acres of the club’s property for the Falls Lake project. The
land was sold in 1975, and the money was used to help develop the clubhouse.
By this time, a large area of the property had been cleared, a well dug, and
a parking area established. A site for the building had also been selected.
The $40,000 clubhouse was completed in early 1978. The one-story metal
building included a meeting room and dance floor, a kitchen, and restrooms.
The names of some of the firefighters who helped finish the building were
etched in the sidewalk and are still visible as of 2012: Hubert Altman,
Wilbur Beasley, Wade Boyette, Ronald Bunch, Lewis Choplin, Dudley Gill, John
Hester, Harold Jones, Ben Johnson, Charles Kelley, C. A. Lloyd, C. T. May,
Ronald Ricks, Bill Sykes, and Drewey Williams. The clubhouse is presently
addressed as 12601 Bayleaf Church Road. (February 2, 1968)yb84, sos, chb
Riots erupted after announcement of assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Riots erupt about 9:15 p.m., a few hours after the announcement, beginning with a group of "50 to 75" students from Shaw University "marched north on Fayetteville Street smashing store windows and overturning automobiles" until being turned back by police. Subsequent incidents include several fires "set by fire bombs during the pre-down hours Friday morning." Automobiles are also set afire in Weavers Brothers used car lot across South Street from Shaw University. Two fire bombs are thrown at Jeffrey's Grocery at 500
E. Martin St., "one at 9:25 p.m. and another at 9:45 p.m." Both are extinguished without serious damage. M.H.'s Grocerteria at 620
W. South St. sustains minor damage to the roof after a fire bomb is thrown onto the building at 8:50 p.m. "The bomb burned itself out before firemen arrived." At 9:45 p.m., "someone threw a fire bomb through the window of the Playboy Club in the 400 block of
S. East Street." Someone inside threw the bomb back out before "any more than slight damage occurred." Mayor Travis Tomlinson orders curfew for entire city "from 1 to 6 a.m." on Friday and declares city in a "state of emergency." Between "500 and 700 National Guardsmen are called into Raleigh."
[UI] (April 4, 1968)no
Raleigh Rescue Mission warehouse at 217 Lee Street burned during first night of unrest.
Fire reported at 11:48 p.m. The one-story frame structure is used for
storage and contains furniture, clothing, appliances, and other supplies for distribution to needy people in the city.
The building collapses around midnight. "Firemen [say] it appears to have been set deliberately" and "was burning in three separated areas." One firefighter, Bobby Mitchell, a volunteer firefighter, is burned on his left arm and hand.
A dwelling also catches fire. Loss $55,500. E2, E3, T7, E1 stand by, E4 stand by
as fill in. [UF] (April 4, 1968)rfd
Dixie Motor Parts at 902 S. Wilmington Street burned during first night of unrest.
Fire reported at 1:58 a.m. by telephone. Police reinforce firefighters who are bombarded with
rocks and other objects at the scene. "Fire officials say the blaze began when a fire bomb was set off in the building, which is located behind Memorial Auditorium." One fireman is injured. H. K. Hodges is "struck on the head by a rock."
Engine 1 and Engine 4 respond. The building sustains $1,000 loss. Other reports of fire bombs "or Molotov cocktails" include Thomas' Grocery, a "white-owned store at Swain and Hargett Streets," damaged by a fire bomb "ignited about 2:42 a.m. Friday." Police officers also removed a fire bomb from an A&P Grocery store off Garner road late Thursday night. Answering a burglar alarm, the officers found "a hold had been knocked in a window and a firebomb had been placed in a trash can filled with paper and other debris. They extinguished the fire before it caused any damage to the store."
[UF] (April 4, 1968)no, rfd
Vacant house at 515 S. West Street burned during second night of unrest.
[UF] (April 5, 1968)
Green Brothers Seed Company warehouse at 1431 S. Blount
Street burned during fourth day of curfew. Fire reported at 4:38 p.m. The
one-story frame building measures "220 by 110 feet" and also ignites
"tractor-trailer trucks at the R-C Motor lines yard next door." It also poses a
"threat to two large and highly explosive chemical tanks at the Ralston Purina
Co. plan on the west side of Blount Street." Also damaged is the Textile
Research Services building at 1501 S. Blount Street, which also catches fire.
Police and National Guardsmen block off " Wilmington Street at South Street to
keep people away from the blaze." Loss $450,000. E2, E3, T7, E1, E4 at 1, E5, E4
to relieve T7, E6 to relief, E7 to E4 and T6, E2 to water down debris next day,
E2 for flare up one day later. [MF] [UF] (April 7, 1968)no, rfd
Forty fires occurred by midday Monday. Chief
Keeter says "as of midday Monday, 40 fires [have] occurred since the disorder broke out here. Most [are] blamed on firebombs or other deliberate acts."
[UF] (April 8, 1968)
Shamrock Apartments in the 700 block of St. Mary's
Street burned. Fire reported at 6:30 p.m. One of two units under construction is destroyed.
The apartments are bounded by the Broughton High School gym, the Raleigh
Apartments, and Wedgewood Apartments. Loss $100,000.
[MF] (April 9, 1968)no10apr68, rfd
started at Central
Prison by rioters. Reported at 12:10 a.m. by telephone, the fire
causes $123,000 loss. Engine 1 and Truck 1. [UF] (April 17, 1968)rfd
Sportland Bowling Center burned. Fire reported at 7:33
a.m. by telephone. Only the outside walls are left standing of the one-story
frame-and-brick structure. Firefighters stretch a hose across North Boulevard, resulting in four hours of traffic delays. Smoke is visible 18 miles away in Rolesville. $400,000 loss. E7, E3, T7, E4, R1, E1 to relieve E3, T6 to relieve T7, R3 to
pull down wall, E2 to relieve E1, E7 wet down debris next day. [MF] (May 20, 1968)rfd
Apparatus note: Tanker 8 moved to Station 4. (Around August, 18, 1968)rfd
Brush fire near Central Prison threatened homes.
Fire along tracks of Seaboard Coast Line Railway west of Central Prison
threatens "a number of homes on Ashe Avenue" and burns "over several acres"
before being brought under control. Assistant Chief John W. Godwin says the
fire, "one of three fires along the railway tracks during the day, started off
Harrison Avenue and burned to Ashe Avenue." The other two fires occurred "along
the railway tracks in the vicinity of the Beltline bridge and the Method area."
Firefighters received the alarm at 2:35 a.m. and fought the fires for 2 1/2
hours before "bringing them under control." [UF] (October 3, 1968)no04oct68
Raleigh Stockyards on US.64 just west of Knightdale burned. Raleigh Fire Department responds as mutual aid. See Knightdale history.
[MF?] (November 28, 1968)glf
Spire atop First Baptist Church on corner of Wilmington and Morgan streets removed by firefighters
after shaking loose during strong winds. Firefighter Ronnie Atkinson is strapped
to aerial ladder and raised to 100-foot steeple. [UI] (Wednesday before December
Esty Hall at Shaw University burned. Fire
reported at 3:27 p.m. by telephone. The blaze at the 97-year old dormitory
destroys "one room and damag[es] a hall, an attic, and one other room." First
hydrant connection is dry, due to apparent disconnection by campus workers
without notifying fire department. Fire is controlled within 15 minutes. Loss
$115,000. E1, E2, T1, T7, R1, E4, E5, E3, E7 at Sta 1, T5. [MF] (December 14,
Firefighter residency requirements changed from prior requirement of living within city limits to anywhere in Wake County, provided they reside on a paved road and that their telephones are connected to the Raleigh exchange. (February 1969)yb84, no04feb69
McCrory & Company at 226 Fayetteville Street burned.
Two+ alarms. Fire reported at 4:38 a.m. from Box 21. Three-story brick
building. Loss $225,521. T1, T7, E1, E3, R1, E2, E4, E6, T6 both at 1, T5, T6,
E5 at 1, E8 at 5, E4 at 1. [MF] (February 10, 1969)rfd
Broughton High School at 723 Saint Mary's Street burned.
Two alarms. Fire reported at 2:05 p.m. by telephone. Principal John N. Norton [estimates] that all of the students were evacuated from the building in less than two minutes after the alarm was sounded. Asst. Fire Chief John W. Godwin [says] the rapid spread of the fire [is] very unusual" and is possibly "the work of an arsonist." Fire started in room used by students who drive school buses, located in an "east wing of the building which was once the school auditorium, but had been converted to classrooms, the buss driver's room and a lounge." All eleven rooms on the first floor in that wing are either "gutted or charred." Smoke damages extends "all over the first floors and into some of the rooms on the second and third floors." Basement rooms "under the old auditorium" suffer heavy water damage. Fire is discovered by teacher.
Fire department arrives on scene at 2:08 p.m. "'I could see smoke boiling up from Hillsborough Street,' Chief Godwin said at the scene, 'and when I arrived, fire was coming out of two of the windows on the north side.'" Firefighters had extinguished the fire in the first floor rooms when flames were discovered "in the roof of the wing beneath the tile roof covering." Chief Godwin said "six companies and the rescue squad answered the alarm."
Loss $230,724.04. E5, E1, T5, T6, R1, T7, E4. [MF] (February 20, 1969)no21feb69
Jimmy's Upholstering Company at 5 Glenwood Avenue burned.
Fire reported at 1:35 p.m. Blaze starts in the rear workshop area of the large
brick commercial building. Extensive damage is done to "the right side of the
structure." In addition, "heavy smoke and water damage" are sustained in the
left side of the duplex-like building. "Firefighting efforts [continue] through
most of the afternoon." The firm had closed for the day when the fire started.
Loss $37,254.75. E1, E5, T5, T6, R1, T1, E1 next day for embers. [MF?] (March
Apparatus note: Second engine company at Station
1 returned to service as Engine 10. (March 21, 1969)rfd
Statesville Flour Mills Company warehouse on S. Blount Street burned
during forty- minute period of firebombing. Also gutted is a nearby office
building. Three other businesses are also set afire by Molotov cocktails. First
fire is reported at 9:53 p.m. after someone throws "a soft drink bottle filled
with inflammable liquid" through the window of Hudson-Belk Furniture Company on
S. Wilmington Street. At 10:12 p.m., a firebomb is through the window of
Honeycutt's Grocery Store at the corner of East and Cabarrus streets. At 10:18
p.m., the alarm for the flour mill is turned in from Box 223. At 10:30 p.m.,
another fire bomb is thrown into Weaver Brothers Rambler at 223 W. Lenoir
Street. At 10:31 p.m., another fire is reported in the office building of the
Robertson Chemical Company near the flour mill. Fires occur on a day in which "a
request from Negro civil rights marchers that they be allowed to set up a tent
city in a city park" met with opposition from members of the City Council. Also
during the day, police release a statement saying "an investigation of Negro
charges of police brutality in the arrest of a Negro woman last week produced no
reasons for any suspension of the arresting officer involved." Loss at the Flour
Mills is $108,500, with Engine 2, Engine 10, and Truck 7. [UF] (May 5, 1969)no06may69, rfd
Wake County ABC Board offices at 418 1/2 McDowell Street burned
during night of "sporadic assaults on property" that erupts "after a Clayton
white man" fires a pistol "from an automobile on Fayetteville Street as some 150
black demonstrators" are marching past. Alarm is turned in at 1:53 a.m. after a
firebomb is apparently thrown into a second-story window. The contents of a
bookkeeping room are damaged, with several items destroyed including "light
fixtures, an adding machine," and "a calculator machine." [UF] (Friday before
May 10, 1969)no10may69
Fire Chief Jack Keeter asked City Council to include funds in 1969-1970 budget for "46 more firemen, two more fire instructors and two additional fire trucks." The added manpower, says
Keeter, could cut the departments "'present 73-hour work week to 60'. 'Most all fire departments in North Carolina are working considerably less hours a week than we are.'" The Chief notes Durham's fire department "is planning to implement a 56-hour week" and that Charlotte's firefighters work "52 hours a week." The fire department presently has "182 firemen, one under the number prescribed by the city." Chief
Keeter requests "$50,000 be included in the new budget to buy one pumper and one ladder fire truck to 'service Brentwood,'" the subdivision in North Raleigh that was annexed on June 1. "The fire department's total request for the upcoming fiscal year is $1.7 million. The department's present budget is $1.2 million." The Chief also tells the Council that "'500 out of 554' street box alarms received by the department during the current fiscal year 'were false alarms' and that 'most cities are going to a telephone alarm system.'" (June 25, 1969)no26jun69
International Association of Fire Firefighters local chapter 548 re-chartered, named Raleigh Firefighter's Association Local No. 548.
The Local ceased operations in 1959, when the North Carolina General Assembly
outlawed the rights of firefighters and police officers to belong to unions.
In 1968, the state statute was ruled unconstitutional in federal court.
Collective bargaining, however, remained prohibited between municipalities
and labor organizations. At the time of the June 10 application, the Temporary President is Ned Perry, the Temporary Vice-President is B. T. Fowler, and the Temporary Secretary and Treasurer is Maylon Frazier. The application includes the names of 173 charter members.
The charter fee was $25.00. The initiation fee was $1.00 per member. The per
capita tax was 85 cents (active), and 42.5 cents (retired). Among their
activities during the seventies and early eighties included participating in
a city employee coalition that asked citizens to support a pay increase,
working for two years to win creation of the First Class Fire Fighter
position, and supporting a bill that altered the role and composition of
Raleigh’s Civil Service Commission. (by October 1, 1969)rpffa records,
Station 2 moved to 263 Pecan Road. The single-story station includes a maintenance shop in the rear. Both Engine 2 and the Shop were previously housed in the basement of Memorial Auditorium. Photos and more information.
(October 16, 1969)yb84
City council approved recommendation by Public Works Committee that the "same architectural design used for the Wake Forest Road, Western Boulevard, and Six Forks Road stations be used for any new fire stations to be constructed." ccm
Fire department consisted of 169 men, including 133 firefighters and 36 company Captains; nine stations housing 10 engine companies and four ladder companies operating on a two-platoon system. Each firefighter works 24 hours during assigned shifts, with average work weeks of 66 hours. yb84
||City of Raleigh Annual Report
||City of Raleigh budget documents
||Cameron Village: A History 1949-1999,
Nan Hutchins, Sprit Press, 2001
||City of Raleigh Auditor's Office
|ccm / cm
||City Council Minutes / City Minutes
||1792-1892, The Centennial Celebration of
Raleigh, NC, Kemp D. Battle, Edwards and Broughton, 1893
||Chief Engineer's Report
||North Carolina Department of Archives and
||North Carolina Department of Archives and
History News and Observer index
||City of Raleigh Fire Protection Study
||Historical Raleigh with Sketches of Wake
County and its Important Towns, Moss N. Amis, 1912
||Mike Legeros records.
||News and Observer
||News and Observer
||Pullen Park History
||Raleigh Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary
||Raleigh Fire Department Photo Unit records
||Raleigh: An Unorthodox History
||Raleigh Fire Department 1984,
Raleigh Fire Department, Taylor Publishing, 1984
||Raleigh Fire and Rescue: 1984-2002,
Raleigh Fire Department, Taylor Publishing, 2002, plus additional
historical information also compiled by the Raleigh Fire Department
||Wake: Capital County of North Carolina -
Volume 1, Prehistory Through Centennial, Elizabeth Reid Murray,
Capital County Publishing, 1983
Spot an error on this page? Please let me know, just click my
Copyright 2022 by Michael J. Legeros