The Raleigh Fire Department recently produced a five-year strategic planning document. A copy has been posted to the RFD newsletter site and accompanies an article about the plan in the fall 2015 issue. The plan was created by a thirty-two member planning committee during a series of meetings this summer. It was developed with inputs gathered from a stakeholder survey in May 2015.
Five goals are outlined in the Strategic Plan: promoting workforce excellence, adjusting operational and support staffing levels, strengthening functionality and condition of infrastructure, automating business systems, and enhancing public communication. The thirty-four page document concludes with appendix materials.
Let's look closely at staffing, apparatus, and facility objectives through 2020:
- Hiring 20 firefighters per year, from F17 to F21, to optimize supplemental staffing levels.
- Expand Operations with second Division, e.g. Three Division Chiefs, three Aides, and three Battalion Chiefs
- Expand Services with a Division Chief, a Battalion Chief, an Emergency Fleet Parts Coordinator, and a Fire Equipment Inventory Coordinator
- Expand Training with an Asst. Career Development Coordinator (Lieutenant), and a Fire Academy Training Officer (Lieutenant).
- Expand Office of Fire Marshal with a Division Chief, a Public Information Officer (PIO), three Fire Educators, four Deputy Fire Marshals, and a Training Officer.
- Implement multi-year replacement schedule, as part of fleet management program.
- Renovate legacy fire stations to improve them. Planned schedule:
- Station 5 (FY16)
- Station 2 (FY16, FY17)
- Station 10, Station 15 (FY17, FY18)
- Station 8, Station 16 (FY18, FY19)
- Station 9, Station 17 (FY19, FY20)
- Station 18, Station 19 (FY20, FY21)
- Station 4, Station 20 (FY21, FY22)
- Station 21, Station 22 (FY22, FY23?)
- Relocate two legacy facilities:
- Headquarters (Office of Fire Chief, Office of Fire Marshal, etc.) and Station 1 (as joint facility)
- Station 3
- Station 23
- Add additional fire station:
- Station 30 (see page 10 for map of city growth areas. Includes both in-fill and expansion areas.)
- Develop a [new] training center that includes an emergency vehicle driving course.
- Improve (e.g., likely expand) Services facilities.
- Move from legacy mobile data terminals (MDTs) to hybrid tablet and cloud-based systems.
- Move to new computer-aided dispatch (CAD) system.
- What would six battalions look like? Page 32 has a prospective map:
- West Division
- Station 1, 2, 3, 10, 26
- Station 4, 9, 15, 16
- Station 5, 6, 8, 14, 20
- East Division
- Station 7, 11, 12, 21, 27
- Station 19, 22, 25, 28
- Station 17, 18, 23, 24, 29
- West Division