The Wake County Fire Commission met on Thursday, March 15. Apologies for not posting this agenda information in advance. Among the items discussed were “two for one” apparatus replacements for four departments. See below for meeting highlights.
View agenda packet.
- Meeting Called to Order: Chairman Billy Myrick
- Pledge of allegiance
- Roll of Members Present
- Items of Business
- Adoption of Minutes for November 16, 2017 Regular Meeting
- Annual Election of Chairman and Vice Chairman – Nick Campasano
- Approval of Agenda
- Public Comments:
- Comments from the public will be taken at this time. Members of the public are invited to make
comment to the Commission, with a maximum of 3 minutes per person. A signup sheet for those
who wish to speak during the public comments section of the meeting is located at the entrance of
the meeting room.
- Regular Agenda
- Recommendation for sub-committee consolidation
- North Region Committee Appointments
- South Region Committee Appointments
- Apparatus 2-1 Replacements and possible relocations
- County purchase of Town of Fuquay-Varina Tanker
- Information Agenda
- Fire Tax Financial Report
- Standing Committee Updates
- Staffing and Compensation
- Volunteer Recruitment & Retention Committee
- Chair Report
- Fire Services Report
- Other Business
- Adjournment – Next Meeting April 26, 2018
Two For One Apparatus Replacements
Four departments were approved for “two for one” apparatus replacements:
- Garner FD – Engine 11 (1998 Pierce Dash) and Rescue 2 (1997 Pierce Saber heavy rescue) are scheduled for replacement in FY19. Request to replace both with ladder/rescue combination, at same cost-share cost to county, for cost of one heavy rescue. Approved.
- Fuquay-Varina FD – Engine 5 (year/model?) is FY19 replacement. Request to replace Engine 5 and Rescue 2 (year/model?) with ladder/rescue combination, at same cost-share to county, for cost of one heavy rescue. Rescue 2 given to county, for reallocation. Approved. (Note: Town budget not finalized, so proposal is planned/intended.)
- Zebulon FD – Ladder 95 (1987 Duplex/Grumman platform) and Rescue 9 (2009 GMC/MWF medium-duty). Request to replace both with ladder/rescue combination, at same cost-share to county, for cost of one heavy rescue. Rescue 9 given to county, for reallocation. Approved. (Note: Town budget not finalized, so proposal is planned/intended.)
- Northern Wake FD – Ladder 15 (1999 Pierce Dash ladder) is FY21 replacement. County wants to move to FY19 for replacement, to take advantage of multiple truck purchase, with county buying four ladders at once, with potential savings of $27,500 per truck. New ladder would be a ladder/rescue combination. Request to replace Ladder 15 and Rescue 25 (2009 Spartan/Hackney heavy rescue, former Stony Hill FD) with ladder/rescue combination. Rescue 25 returned to county, for reallocation as resource. Approved.
Upon completion, county would have three rescues for reallocation. Three FDs have rescues scheduled for replacement in the next three years. The newly acquired rescues would be moved to these three departments. This would save county $864,000 over next three years.
- NWFD R25 > EWFD, currently operating 1997 International/E-One
- FVFD R2 > Rolesville, currently operating 1998 Freightliner/E-One
- ZFD R9 > WWFD, currently operating 1999 HME/EVI
All were approved as budget directions, and subject to approvals as needed by fire department boards and as supported by municipal budgets.
Note: View agenda packet documents for more details.
New Chairperson and Vice Chairperson elected:
- Keith McGee, Apex Fire Chief – Chairperson
- Lee Price, Wake New Hope Asst. Chief – Vice Chairperson
County purchase of FVFD tanker:
Fuquay-Varina FD is receiving a new tanker. Their 1995 Freightliner/S&S tanker will be retired. It is being offered for sale to the county, for allocation to Holly Springs FD. They need a tanker to meet requirements for available water and water hauling capabilities, within rural areas covered by HSFD. Approved.
Helmet color standardization:
Equipment subcommittee recommended standardizing helmet colors for department members not qualified for structural firefighting. Recommend orange or yellow helmets. This augments an earlier recommendation that standardized colors county-wide as red, black, and white. Approved.
Wendell Falls fire/EMS station:
Facilities subcommittee reported that plans are nearly finished for the Wendell Falls fire/EMS station. Three drive-through bays with an optional fourth bay. Pending agenda item for county commissioners to approve. (Need more details. Site address? Timeframe?)
New fire academy:
Training subcommittee reported. County fire academy 10 planning to start in July.