This week, Engine 2 moved into temporary quarters at the old city radio/signals/sign shop on South Wilmington Street, in preparation for the renovation of their Pecan Street engine house. See this earlier blog post for information on the “down to the walls” rebuild.
This makes the fifth location for Station 2 since the career fire department was organized in 1912. Below is a photo history. Learn more about Station 2.
Left to right, top to bottom: Fayetteville Street (1912-1914), S. Salisbury Street (1914-1932), Memorial Auditorium (1932-1969), Pecan Road (1969-2016), S. Wilmington Street, temporary location (2016-2017). First photo is circa 1906, as the Rescue Company engine house and before the career fire department was activated in 1912. Click to enlarge: