Mike Legeros photos
Google Earth photo
Circa 1957 / News & Observer photos
Carolina State Archives
||History: Station 1 opened on December 23,
1912 at 112 W. Morgan
Street. It was the first of three fire stations for the newly reorganized Raleigh Fire Department. Hose Company 1,
the first of three fully-paid fire companies, was placed in service with
a horse-drawn hose wagon. Hose 1 was motorized in February of the following year with a 1913 American LaFrance combination hose wagon.
Truck Company 1 was placed in service three years later with a 1916 American LaFrance tractor-drawn aerial ladder.
The truck company also staffed a service ladder truck delivered in 1922. Station 1 also housed
the equipment of the electric-telegraph fire alarm system until a separate
fire alarm building was constructed in 1926.
Opened in spring 1896, the former quarters of the volunteer Capital
Hose and Hook and Ladder companies was 60 feet long, 42 feet wide, and the
top of the four-story hose tower was 75 feet from the ground. The first
floor included quarters for the Capital Hose Company wagon, the Hook &
Ladder Company truck, the reserve double-tank chemical engine, and the
chief's buggy. The stables were also located on the first floor.
floor contained sleeping rooms for the drivers, an assembly room, and the
batteries and other fire alarm system equipment. After 1912, the Morgan
Street station was expanded with a two-story rear addition, and the tower started
serving as a training tower. In 1914, the fire alarm bell was moved to the
tower from Metropolitan Hall. The bell was 44 years old.
The original construction bid was awarded
to Hicks, Ellington, and Co. for $4,000 on July 5, 1895. The Morgan Street
lot was the site of earlier Capital Hose and Hook and Ladder engine houses, both
of which were demolished. Temporary quarters just west of the lot were
utilized until the new headquarters fire station was completed at a cost of $5,500, including
land. A supply room in the rear was added in fiscal year 1906. Other
renovations included a granolithic floor for the new steamer added in fiscal
year 1906 and a complete overhaul of the building in the spring of 1898 due
to faulty construction.
In March 1938, the the tower at Station 1 on West Morgan Street demolished. For
years the city had wanted to demolish the combination bell, hose, and
training tower, which is several inches off-center. Considered
cost-prohibitive, the demolition finally started during construction of an
addition to the adjacent Revenue Building. Contractor H. L. Coble couldn't
get his trucks through the seven-foot alley between the buildings, so the
wrecking job was performed for free.
the Morgan Street station was condemned by the city building inspector and
planning started for a replacement fire station. On June 27, 1941, the
property was sold to the state for $35,000, for a planned addition to the adjacent Revenue Building.
On the same day, a $15,000 lot was purchased on South Dawson Street for a
new fire station.
1 relocated to old Station 2 at
412 S. Salisbury Street on August 12,
1941. The Salisbury Street station was considerably smaller and only housed
Engine 1, the Fire Chief, and the switchboard. The aerial ladder and service
ladder truck were relocated to Station 2, and
Engine 2 joined Engine 1 at Station 1.
The old station was demolished that summer. The site for the replacement was
located on Dawson Street beside Union Depot. The lot measured 70 by 236 feet. The city
administration had been working on the new station project since 1939, and
had visited stations in other cities. Construction was delayed for several years,
however, for reasons
including the unavailability of building materials during World War II.
housed on the South Dawson Street property was a
new building to house the fire alarm
system. Construction on the alarm house building started August 12,
1941. Completed in 1942, the building cost $3,500 and included window frames
and other materials salvaged from Old Station 1.
present Station 1 opened on October 5, 1953 at 220 S. Dawson
Street and initially housed Engine 1, a new engine company named Engine 9,
the aerial ladder truck from Station 2, and the newly
formed Raleigh Emergency Rescue Squad. It also housed the offices
of the Fire Chief, the two Assistant Chiefs, and the Fire Prevention Bureau.
station was dedicated on the same day. The City Manager presided over the
ceremonies which included short speeches from the Mayor, City Council
members, and the Fire Chief. Immediately after the ceremonies, members of
the fire department's Ladies Auxiliary held an open house and conducted
tours until 9:00 p.m.
Since 1953, Station 1 has operated two engines and a truck company. The
second engine company has been numbered Engine 9, Engine 10, Engine 15, and
Engine 13. The second engine was also out of service between February 1965
and March 1969.
Station 1 housed a rescue company from 1953 to 1976, and
later a Battalion Chief from 1971 to 2004, and a Division Chief from 1992 to
2001. Special units at the Dawson Street station have included a squad
truck, a foam unit, a light unit, a fire investigation unit, an air
unit, and a field communications unit.
Station 1 is the only three-company fire station in Raleigh.
Last updated: 31DEC12