Station 9

4465 Six Forks Road

Opened February 14, 1963

Faces east
View plaque

4,500 square feet, one story
 Architect: James M. Edwards, Jr. / Builder: R. N. Rouse Company

Station 9 opened at 1:30 p.m. on February 14, 1963 at 4465 Six Forks Road. Engine 9,  previously the second engine at Station 1, was placed in service with a 1951 American LaFrance pumper. Tanker 9 was placed in service the same day with a 1960 GMC tanker, and operated until 1974. Twelve men manned the station. The $63,000 station is located in the North Hills neighborhood.

Station 9 housed a rescue company from 1974 to 1978, a Battalion Chief from 1978 to 2001, a Division Chief from 2001 to 2005, and a fire investigation unit from 2000 to 2012. It also housed a mini-pumper between 1987 and 2007. Station 9 also houses old Engine 1, a 1961 American LaFrance pumper purchased by the Raleigh Fire Museum with firefighter donations.

Last update: November 29, 2020

Lee Wilson photo


Home / Reset Frames

This page was last updated on 11/29/20 09:36:57 PM