|263 Pecan Street||
Opened October 16, 1969
4,600 square feet (estimated, excluding
former shop space), one story
Mike Legeros photo
Google Earth photo
Courtesy Raleigh Public Affairs
Circa 1960s / Courtesy Raleigh Fire Department
|History: Station 2 opened on December
23, 1912 in the 300 block of Fayetteville Street, the second of three
fire stations for the re-organizaed Raleigh Fire Department. Hose Company 2 was placed in
service with a horse-drawn hose wagon. Hose 2 was motorized in February
1913, receiving the second of two American LaFrance combination hose wagons
Built in 1870, the former
quarters of the volunteer Rescue Company was located on property owned by
Wake County and adjacent to the county courthouse. The two-story brick
station measured approximately 50 by 22 feet and included a feed house. It
was demolished around July 1, 1914, after the county reclaimed the property
for a new courthouse. Hose 2 relocated to Station 1.
The city retained ownership of
the Salisbury Street station, which was used as the city paint shop
until it reopened as Station 1 on August 12, 1941. The aerial ladder and service ladder trucks were moved to Station 2, and Engine 2 was moved to Station 1. Engine 2 returned to Station 2
around June 27, 1949, when the service ladder was moved to Station 6. The aerial ladder was returned to Station 1
around October 5, 1953.
Six men manned the new station, which was located closer to the heart of Raleigh's expanding southern section.
also housed the original haz-mat unit from 1984 to
1990. The 1977 Chevy panel van was moved to Station 20 on November 12, 1990.
On November 30, 2016, Engine 2 relocated to temporary
quarters on South Wilmington Street, in preparations for major renovations
of Station 2. The "down to the walls" renovation included converting the old
maintenance shop space, that adjoined the fire station, into a rear
apparatus bay entrance, and additional living and working space. Engine 2
occupied the old city radio and sign shop at the corner of Wilmington and Hoke streets, with their haz-mat apparatus parked outside. Later, the
haz-mat apparatus were relocated to the old city bus depot garage, located
behind the old radio and sign shop.
|Home / Reset Frames||
This page was last updated on 07/31/19 08:25:26 PM