|121 Northway Court||
Opened June 24, 1993
5,298 square feet, one story
History: The original Station 4 opened at 505 Jefferson Street in the Glenwood suburbs on June 15, 1926. The lot was purchased on October 26, 1925, from Hubert D. Arnold and his wife for $1,700. The construction bid was awarded on February 18, 1926, to John F. Danielson for $8,754.00.
Engine 4 operated a 1926 American LaFrance pumper. The first call was received from Box 43 for an oil stove fire at 6:35 p.m. The single-story, single-bay station measured 34 by 56 feet. A kitchen was added to the rear of the building in 1951.
Engine 4 received the first of two FWD pumpers on March 3, 1950. The four-wheel drive engine was replaced on July 9, 1957, by a 1957 model that served as Engine 4 until March 8, 1974.
See related documents on history page.
On April 16, 1963, a new Station 4 opened at 2913 Wake Forest Road. The Jefferson Street station was sold and remains privately owned. The new station cost $63,000. Station 4 on Wake Forest Road housed a tanker from 1968 to 1986, and a Battalion Chief from 1971 to 1975, and from 1977 to 1978.
On June 24, 1993, a new Station 4 opened at 101 Northway Court in a northern section of the city. The response area of the old station was absorbed by Station 6, Station 9, and Station 11. The old station served as a fire department training center and as city office space until 1997. It was sold and used as commercial office space.
On November 19, 1996, the old Jefferson Street fire station was designated a Raleigh historical landmark. On December 4, 2005, it was opened to the public for the Glenwood-Brooklyn Neighborhood Associationís 100th anniversary year tour of historic home.
Old Engine 4 was brought to the event. Capt. Gary Amato drove the 1926 American LaFrance pumper on the sixteen-mile round trip from Station 28. He was accompanied by retired Air Force Colonel Bob Biggs, who restored the engine in 1987.
Station 4 on Northway Court also housed a mini-pumper from 2000 to 2004 and from 2007 to 2009. Ladder 4 was placed in service on January 6, 2009, and renamed Ladder 1 on July 7, 2009.
Last updated: November 29, 2020
Second Station 4 - Wake Forest Road